• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking to Upgrade to a PowerMatic 3520C: I Have a Few Questions

i have a lead on a PM3520b lathe the person has it listed at 3500 USD is this a fair price or a bit to high. its in very good shape, he was only a hobby turner so it was not abused he turned pen blanks ans some small bowl work.
Thank in advance for your replies.
dennis

I don't know, Dennis, but they do seem to hold their value for their solid reliability. Ask him if he'll take 3k if he will take cash (people get greedy when they see Benjamins has been my experience). I expect a price increase on most new lathe models in the new year, which may make the used market more attractive until the next big sale.

I put my Rikon 70-3040 (about 550#) on a wood floor (2" of plywood) and have turned some very out of balance pieces. The lathe will walk 6 inches or more. When I move it to it's new space in the shed I am going to open the floor and pour concrete to the floor level to alleviate the vibration.
Hi Don, I see you have a Rikon 70-3040 lathe, I bought the Rikon mobility casters that fit on your lathe, i will be putting them on my "NEW" 3520b PM lathe so have to drill the two holes to mount them. Can you tell me the centerline distance from the bottom of the cast leg to the first hole? Don't count the adjusting pads if you have them, just the distance from the bottom of the cast leg to the center of the first Hole.
I know the distance from hole to hole which is 2 1/16" , so just need the measurement from the bottom to the center of the lower bottom hole, do you think you could measure that and reply to me. Thanks in advance.
All the Best to you Dave
dennis

There is no such thing as two phase or split phase it is all single phase unless it is a 3 phase line coming in. The standard residential single phase power connection is about 240 volt coming in on 3 wires (red - black - white) the white wire is the neutral and is a center tap on the secondary of the transformer out on the power pole and all 120 volt circuits are connected to the neutral and either the black or red wire. The most common 240 volt 1 ph circuit is connected to the red and black wires and the third wire is a ground only that only has current flow during a fault situation.
You should not mix 120 volt and 240 volt circuits on one 240 volt circuit, use a separate 1 pole circuit breaker for your 120 volt circuits.
Wikipedia states that there is still real 2-phase power in Philadelphia.

Dennis, I figured a picture would help. I had to remove my caster.

View attachment 48798
Thanks Don, i did not realize you had the rikon casters on the lathe, i did not meen for you to take off the caster, you went way above and beyond the call of duty. Your the Best.Thanks so Much.i. Will install the rikon Kit on the powermatic 3520b tomorrow. I tried to find the powermatic lift and lock mobility kit but discontinued and could not find a used one. But i think i will like the Rikon kit , does not take up the whole ent of lathe like the PM kit. Yes I know i will get some heat putting Rikon on PM , but i need the mobility, to get the lathe out of the way when I am building large Furniture,
Dennis.

Back