• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for suggestions and encouragement.

My Dad did the same thing many years ago, never really phased him he continued working in the shop, buying more gear expanding the floor space . He just took it in his stride, learned from if and moved on

I've come close and witnessed some similar injuries. Going forward, stay away from gloves and use a push block when appropriate at the jointer, and be vigilant and aware of where your hands are and the potential for kickback and other incidents when using power tools. Take a break when tired, don't hurry trying to fix a mistake. realize the machine will always bite you if you let it. Listen to that inner voice that says you are doing something risky. Best of luck healing from your injury.

My workmate lost part of one finger to a jointer when he was hurrying to replace a botched part. He might have come away clean except that the cutterhead grabbed his glove. He bought a new mountain bike with the workman's comp settlement and christened it "Just the Tip".

first instructor in wood that I had was missing 2 fingers—jointer accident. Didn’t slow him down at all. In time you will adapt and won’t miss a beat. Good luck and let us know. I almost lost a thumb on a bandsaw, not as bad as you, and I am sure there are many other stories.

I did the same exact thing!!! It happened so quick that the blade cover closed after my fingers went through. Could post pictures but too gory looking. Anyway, the Surgeon was able to save the index and ring finger, but I now have a shorter middle finger. Have learned how to work with it though but have to admit, the jointer gives me the hibi jibies.

Mine was on a router table. Right ring finger lost from the nail to the joint. ER asked it I brought in the missing part-I said you don't understand how a router works. Its been a little over a year and it is still more sensitive but hasn't stopped me. I think I can predict changes in the weather now-lol

I was called to go to a friend's house across town. He cut his fingers on a miter saw while building a chicken coop in their backyard. He was looking for them, but worried he was losing too much blood and drove himself to the ER. I got there and looked everywhere. Lots of blood, but no fingers. A scene like that does really make you slow down and think about safety.

He has a wife and 2 daughters and joked that he used to hold up his hand and say "We're leaving in 5 minutes" but he says now it's changed to 3 1/2 minutes.

A few years ago I almost cut my middle finger off at the first knuckle. Came in and holding a bloody towel on my hand told my wife we needed to go to the ER. She says "who is in the hospital". They said bone was not cut .....Not. Finally got in to see hand doctor and the pin caused a very severe infection. So yes am being more careful since.

Website
www.aioncompany.com
Well, darn. The ER doc asked me the same thing and I answered in the same way. Mine was 4/30 and it's getting better but still really sensitive and stiff. Some folks have said it could take a year.
Thanks

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I had a similar jointer accident 25-30 yrs. ago. One index finger is almost 1/4" shorter than the other. As I recall, it took quite a while before it started to feel & look normal again.

Back