• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Tom Hale & Rebecca DeGroot for "Walking Mushroom" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 30, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for someone around Liberty, KY to turn some large maple bowls.

A friend of a friend has some large maple blanks cut from a maple tree that has sentimental value.

She would like to find someone to turn them into large bowls for her granddaughters.

Is there anyone interested in this possible commission?

Thanks

You might give the dimensions of the blanks. “Large” can mean different things.
Even some photos might help someone decide if they want to take this on.

I knew a woman who turned bowls 3’ in dia and larger! Her custom lathe is huge. The faceplate she showed me was even larger than the one shown in this old video.

View: https://youtu.be/1PMEJ7rirso?si=wMEnDAYEiu8xWOrC

Her showroom was astounding, bowls big enough to take baths in. When I visited she loaded up my vehicle with wood. And I still have a set of the “big” turning tools, in an unopened box, designed/made by her late husband Knud. Sadly, Lissi is also no longer with us.

Large around here is usually 12-16 inches. I haven't seen the blanks in person other than this photo of when they were wet. Supposedly they were processed into blanks and kiln dried. I figured that info and more would have to be discussed with the potential turner and the owner. I'm just trying to help my buddy who is trying to help out his friend.

1727729671817.png

Back