• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for Six Slot Longworth

I am thinking about a project that might require a Longworth chuck with 6 slots rather than the usual 8. Anyone here know of one ready made in a 16 inch size?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Not knowing what your project is or why you would need a Longworth chuck. Is your piece/project hexagonal?
How about mounting "flat jaws" with wood plates to which you can add 6-8 dowel like pins or blocks of wood - or even mitered corners to fit. Cole/Jumbo jaws could also be modified in the same way. Without knowing what you had in mind it
is kind of hard to come up with a solution.

If all else fails its not hard to make one if you have a decent router.
I'm trying to take the lazy way out, and something done on a CNC would be more precise. I might ask Dave Falkner on Etsy if he can do something custom, since he does make a 10" Longworth with six slots. But for right now I'm just looking to see what the options are.

Not knowing what your project is or why you would need a Longworth chuck. Is your piece/project hexagonal?
How about mounting "flat jaws" with wood plates to which you can add 6-8 dowel like pins or blocks of wood - or even mitered corners to fit. Cole/Jumbo jaws could also be modified in the same way. Without knowing what you had in mind it
is kind of hard to come up with a solution.
I'm not commited to do doing anything, yet, or ever. More like I'm thinking out loud. What I'm pondering may not even be possible, but would be sort of a cross between a triangle and a tripod. I don't think anything based on a four jaw chuck would work.

I did an internet search but didn't turn up any big chucks with 6 slots.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
if it was for a one-off project I'd just glue up a couple plywood panels and screw to a faceplate, then attach the project with enough on the ends to account for waste (or if really like a tripod, might just screw through the faceplate into the legs, I could then shim or move things around by drilling new holes, etc - once project is done, I got a piece of plywood scrap to use for something else..)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm with Brian on this. Unless it's a production kind of project just take a wooden faceplate and build your own jaws. 2 could be fixed and one adjustable.

The plywood or board on a faceplate or wood worm screw, you can have as many attachment point from 3 up and it is quick and economical. The pictured one is made from basswood about 1 3/4" thick held on the lathe with a wood worm screw and I only used 3 plywood cleats to hold a large bowl that mysteriously developed a large hole in the center of the base. The cleats can be made to accommodate just about anything with a flat rim or even a tripod.

Custom ChuckDetail.jpg CustomChuck.jpg CustomChuckInUse.jpg

Back