• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for advice on heirloom pieces

This is a bit off-topic, but I don't know of a better place to post this question.

Over my 26+ years as a woodturner, I've acquired a few pieces made by famous makers: John Jordan, Ray Key, Mike Lee, Christian Burchard, and several very nice pieces from makers who are less well-known. I'm old enough to give serious thought to what will happen to these when I'm gone, and I do not want them to wind up with some auctioneer who has no idea of their value. My wife knows this and understands it, she's also aware of their worth, but neither of us knows a good way to avoid that. Yes, we could have them appraised, although I'm not sure how to do that either. But besides their appraised value, what's a possible destination for them? A museum that would like to have them as a donation? A school, such as Arrowmont? How does my executor find an appropriate home for them, whether a knowledgable buyer or as a donation to an institution? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Document what they are, and your value of them for the executor. Good idea to do that for all sorts of stuff, not just turnings. Assume they will not know the difference between them and make it easy. Having gone through cleaning out a parent's belongings, without any documentation, I can say the job would have been significantly easier if I had some written information. Are those metal painted trays chotskys or did they have real value? The executor will have to make hundreds or even thousands of decisions under duress. If you can research places which would be interested or even people who would be interested, that would be a huge help.

David, having been through this a few times, I would give serious thought as to where “you” would like them to go. The donation idea is good and can also benefit you and your wife now. That would be my choice but that’s me, not you. If you don’t specifically say in your will where they should go, your executor can dispose/sell them however they wish. It’s a quandary for sure. I’m slowly getting rid of “heirloom” stuff now wether it’s a donation or out right gift to someone who appreciates it. Good luck.

Unfortunately we must all face the fact that future generations may, or may not, appreciate and value the things we do. You might influence the next step of stewardship, but eventually most items are more likely to be sold off cheaply to be cleared away from someone’s inventory. Entropy…

I am currently the executor of my parents' estates. It's heartbreaking that the next generation doesn't want almost all of the wonderful things that I grew up with, but it's the way of the world. If you really care about some items and the family doesn't want them, donation will help ease your unease about them going to the landfill.

Good comments above.

Rago Auctions has auctions of wood art once or twice a year, and handles estate/collection sales. If your collection runs to several high value pieces they may be interested. Anyway the phone call is free.

Regional symposiums typically have fund raising auctions. You could donate a piece or two to a symposium or two.

4 or 5 good photos of each piece (or at least the most significant) will be helpful for you or your heirs as you explore the options.

Website
www.studiocsh.com
Arrowmont would be a good choice, I think! Birthplace of the AAW and out of all the major arts & craft schools, I think it's the one that continues to love and respect woodturning the most. (Some of the others don't even have a dedicated woodturning studio anymore (Anderson Ranch), or never had one to begin with (Penland)). I know they have lots and lots of significant work already and rotate it out from storage to display, and it definitely adds to the overall experience there to see some pieces by the past and current masters up close and personal. I'd recommend contacting Heather Wetzel, the current gallery manager, contact info here: https://www.arrowmont.org/about/staff/

Thanks to all for your thoughtful suggestions, you've given me several ideas. I did not know about the Museums & Galleries page here on AAW. Chris, I had been thinking about Arrowmont; I went there about a dozen times, starting back in the early 2000s. That's definitely a contender, all of the best pieces I have were made by people who taught there more than once.

Thanks again to all, you were all helpful.

Back