• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

looking for a mini lathe

I am interested in getting started on turning and have been looking at 3 mini lathes a rikon 12in swing, jet 10in and then there is a shop fox. has anyone used or heard anything about the shopfox mini lathe? if so would like to hear the story on this lathe.

Hi and welcome to the world of turning.I have been in woodworking for several years,but just started to turn in mar.I did a lot of research and bought the Ricon and have not been dissapointed at all.I wanted a mini as I travel back and forth from Tampa to NC. I decided on the Ricon because of it's 12" swing . I have put this little lathe thru the mill and it work's great for me.The best thing I like about it is there customer support.They are fantastic.The biggest problem I have with it is the belt is kinda cheap,but they are working on a new and stronger belt,but in the mean time they just send me a couple of new belt's to keep on hand so if and when I need one I will have it.One thing is for sure,If you need help you won't get hasseled,you get help. I also stripped the threads out on the tool rest adj.screw (my fault) but when I called them yesterday they said no problem,we will send one out UPS asap and to just keep the old assembly.I am not knocking the jet as I believe it is a great lathe,I just wanted the bigger swing capacity that the Ricon offered.Good luck and I hope this help's.
Ken

Last edited:
Ryan---

How serious are you about woodturning? Remember: The lathe will most likely be the least of your overall expendatures if you get serious.

If you're just looking to turn the occasional pen, bottle stopper, spindle, or small bowl, there are a number of options. The Ricon and Jet both have their following, and from what I have read, are fine machines. If your budget is extremely limited, however, you may want to consider the Wilton, available from Amazon.com for about $99. This is the unit which I acquired. It has about a 7.5" swing, about a 13" or so spindle capacity, and sports a 2/5hp variable speed motor, 500-3200 rpm. Not much, I know, but it is a cheap and easy way to get into the hobby.

You will also need some chisels and something with which to sharpen your chisels. If you do not already have these, I would suggest the HSS set available from Harbor Freight. It's less than $40, and makes for great practice in sharpening and in turning. It is geared towards spindle turning, however, so you may want to consider a bowl gouge and a couple of shaped scrapers.

Unless you get the Jet deal from Woodcraft, your lathe will most likely not come with a chuck (the Woodcraft deal, if still extant, comes with a Nova chuck, if I remember correctly). Scroll and/or spigot chucks can be invaluable in turning hollowed items. By themselves, these items can range from $50 at the low end to better than $200+ at the high end. Most have the capability to swap out jaws, but of course these are also an added expense.

This is what I started with, in order of purchase:

Chisels and Bench Grinder
Lathe
Finishing materials
Chuck
Vernier calipers
Bowl gouge, double-ended calipers, anchorseal
small votive candle (for an oil/wax finish---already had the baby oil)

I wish you the best of luck in your search, and enjoy the hobby!

Website
www.zionfire.com
The Rikon is a heck of a deal. Nice little machine.

The Jet is no slouch, but the Rikon give a larger swing and more room between centers.

The Wilton is smaller and the reviews are that you love it or hate it.

Whatcha gonna turn?

If you watch for deals, you can get the cheaper Jet mini with a chuck for $269 at Woodcraft and elsewhere several times a year. Good deal, IMHO. If you can't wait, I'd strongly consider the Rikon if you've got the bucks.

You can think this thing to death. You probably already know that. If you're thinking that you really want to invest the time and energy in learning this stuff, and that you might want to do bigger and better, you might want to start with the Jet. You can add an extension easily enough to get longer. To get bigger around, you'll add a second lathe to your collection! :cool2:

IMHO, YMMV.

Back