• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for a good home

If this post is inappropriate, please do not hesitate to remove it. I would appreciate your assistance. My son and I have recently finished our 22nd YouTube video for Penn State Industries (PSI). We have numerous woodturning tools and supplies used in the videos that cannot be sold by PSI as the packages have been opened and the tools used. With the support of PSI we’d like to donate the tools and supplies to an established woodturning program, preferably one for students learning a trade or one dedicated to the rehab of military veterans. Also, I will donate some of my pen kits and pen blanks. If you know of such a program, please email me for the submission form. Thanks, Marlen Kemmet, marlen.kemmet@gmail.com, retired woodworking magazine editor

Have you tried local schools . We have two schools here we help out with donations and demos. If you would like we could transfer the tools to them.
Thanks Gerald, we are looking for an existing program that hopefully includes pen turing. Copied below is the submission form for interested organizaiton. Please share this with each of the the two schools.

Name of school or organization:
What is the current curriculum for woodturning:
Is pen turning taught:
Number of students or individuals in the program:
Is there an online link to the program:
Point of Contact: (name, email, phone number):

Just a quick google search pulled up these. I recall reading in American Woodturner about affiliate clubs doing such things, and you might contact the AAW headquarters to find out more.

Thanks Gerald, we are looking for an existing program that hopefully includes pen turing. Copied below is the submission form for interested organizaiton. Please share this with each of the the two schools.

Name of school or organization:
What is the current curriculum for woodturning:
Is pen turning taught:
Number of students or individuals in the program:
Is there an online link to the program:
Point of Contact: (name, email, phone number):
Where do they send this info?

I am new to turning and have numerous questions. I've recently purchased a used Nova Galaxy DVR and after correcting
a couple of alignment issues ( the lathe was dropped) on it's side during the previous owners last move. I've been endeavoring
to learn the ropes. The two immediate questions: 1) I need guidance on purchasing a proper powered dust mask headgear? ,
the selection is numerous but I have no experience with models available. I want to get a reliable, effective and affordable
unit, and 2) I was told by a local turning mentor that I can make my own vacuum chuck. I have a small vacuum pump and would
like to know where to find designs for such an effort.

Thanks,
Ted Rekart
Florence AZ,
capnted100t@gmail.com

Ted,

Welcome and best of luck down here in the rabbit hole with the rest of us.

I use Sundstrom for PAPR. I had Trend originally. Affordable is way to subjective a criteria for me to provide assistance. I assume that the ROI on PAPR is always positive in comparison to not being able to breath properly. Sundstrom is a fan and battery on the belt solution. Trend has these on your head.

I suggest you check out Doc Green's website for a vacuum chuck solution this is the link for his rotary adaptor and this is the link for a vacuum chuck for spheres.

I have the Sundstrom PAPR, too. I think it's Peke Safety that's come out with a similar, but less costly belt worn PAPR since I bought mine. I know another local club member that uses it and likes it. Peke also a head mounted system, but that style can be heavy.

I have the Sundstrom PAPR, too. I think it's Peke Safety that's come out with a similar, but less costly belt worn PAPR since I bought mine. I know another local club member that uses it and likes it. Peke also a head mounted system, but that style can be heavy.

I liked Peke's belt-mounted system. The head-mounted unit was very light and compact, (and about half the cost) but had no tilt up function, so you'd have to remove it completely.

Back