• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lodging for Symposium?

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
It appears that all the lodging suggested for the Portland Symposium is booked solid.

Are there some other suggestions for lodging in the area? I'll keep hunting myself, but if the folks organizing this have some other suggestions for nearby lodging that is still availiable it would save lots of people time and phone calls.

Thanks!

Dave

Have you tried Travelocity for hotels in the area?
I just looked and there were 4 hotels in the convention center area that probably have rooms.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

Just got off from Travelocity when I saw your note.

From what I can see there are Three hotels near the convention center still with vacancy.

The Jupiter Hotel
Holiday Inn Portland Downtown
Shilo Inn Portland Rose Garden.

Travelocity rates ranged from $114 for the Jupiter and the Shilo, and $128 for the Holiday Inn.

I got a rate of $104 from the Jupiter when I phoned them directly.

All 3 should be within walking distance from the Convention Center. I wasn't going to bother with a car for this part of the trip. Portland has good public transit if I need it.

Hope this helps those who have not booked yet!

Dave

Dave,
If you are flying out of Kona. Stop by the house and I'll drive you to the airport. You can leave your car at my place and save the parking fees. I'll pick you up when you return.
Come a little early and I serve you a cup of my own home-grown Kona and a pound package to take along.

David Somers said:
Will do Steve! I'll have a bunch for the volunteer and staff room as well! A friend with a farm is going to roast up a bunch of Kona coffee for me shortly before I fly over! See you then!

captjim said:
Dave,
If you are flying out of Kona. Stop by the house and I'll drive you to the airport. You can leave your car at my place and save the parking fees. I'll pick you up when you return.
Come a little early and I serve you a cup of my own home-grown Kona and a pound package to take along.

Jim,

I got a good flight out of Hilo. But thanks for the great offer! Norm and I expect to be working in Kona the week of the 11th though, both up by Kawaihae (Pu'ukohola Heiau) and sourth of you at Pu'uhonua O Honaunau. I think we have rooms at the King Kamehameha. I'll give you a holler that week. Maybe we can get you out for some dinner after we are done for the day!

I'll contact you by email or phone so we aren't tying up the forum with personal details. If you get me a chance, email me your phone number please. I think I have it, but just to be safe!!!!!!!

Dave

Back