• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Like a kid in a candy story (wood gloat)

Last fall I was offered some walnut crotches by someone that had just had 104 black walnut trees harvested from their woods. Due to hunting seasons and accessibility issues, I didn't get to see the wood until today. When I finally got up to the ridge-top field, my initial reaction was that of a kid in the candy store. So much good stuff!!

We filled my pick-up with some prime chunks that were small enough the two of us to handle. I'm going back on Friday (weather permitting) for another load. Then, if I'm real lucky, next week he will bring the tractor with a loader up to the field for a few remaining big pieces and to snake some pieces out of the woods.

My small (30' x 30') equipment shed is going to be out of floor space for a while (it was already 1/3 filled with wood) and the tractor will have to find alternate lodging! :D :D

And I thought I hit the motherlode today with my score. I haven't been back to Platteville since I went to college there in the 60's. May have to visit SW Wisconsin this summer and look up your walnut stash. Maybe we can trade some wood if you're willing.

Stoppy

Walnut crotches are sweet, Brian. And I've found walnut to be pretty stable after milling. Congrats and enjoy.

Dietrich

Stoppy said:
And I thought I hit the motherlode today with my score. I haven't been back to Platteville since I went to college there in the 60's. May have to visit SW Wisconsin this summer and look up your walnut stash. Maybe we can trade some wood if you're willing.

Stoppy
Trading is good. There are a lot of species that don't grow in my woods. I even had to "import" my previous black walnut log from my next door neighbor.

Back