• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Let's see some displays, particularly how......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Let's see some displays, particularly how they fold, store for transporting.

@David Wyke
@Donna Banfield

1722026784301.jpg

This display ^^^^^ looks like:

.....Two folding tables w/tablecloths
.....Three folding stands

I'm assuming the dividing curtains between individual displays are provided by the organizers of the art show.....or, are they?

It would be interesting to see how compact this setup is for transportation. (Looks like it might be very compact.)

It would also be interesting to see how bowls and other art objects are stored for transporting.

Even though I've asked David Wyke and Donna Banfield specifically, I'm sure I can speak for other forum members in asking anyone else who has displays for arts and crafts shows to respond with photos and comments on their displays, and how they store and transport their displays.

Photos are very helpful.

Thank you

-o-

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Here is my show booth. The walls, shelves, pedestals and lighting are all made by a company called Pro Panel. They are very light weight, and stupidly expensive. The pedestals fold flat. They come in several different colors; this is medium gray.

I keep my booth display very clean and uncluttered, so that people can have the opportunity to see my work, which is very busy with detail and color. In the back is a black curtain, which is my 'closet or cubby', that stores my plastic bins and additional work. My work is packed in individual boxes, which are then packed in large plastic bins sold by Home Depot. They are all the same size, so they stack easily. This entire setup lives in a 5 x 10 trailer, with built-ins to safely store everything without sliding around.

Keep in mind that the type of work I make, and sell is not found in the typical craft show. These shows typically include original oil paintings, large bronze sculptures, high end furniture and glass art, where the average price point will be in the $10,000 to $20,000 range.

Attachments

• Nov 2023 1.jpg
    Nov 2023 1.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Nov 2023 2.jpg
    Nov 2023 2.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Nov 2023 3.jpg
    Nov 2023 3.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 103
My set up was a weekend project that was done in a hurry since I procrastinated making this for my first show.
I built this to fit in my small truck, 2020 Ford Ranger.
The standing shelves are made from red oak and fold flat. The shelves have a simple locater under them to help lock them in place. Set up is simple, easy, and the same each time. Top and bottom shelf kind of locks the shelf to the legs and the middle shelf is free floating. Very sturdy and easy to disassemble. Upright legs are hinged in the back.
Table shelves work basically the same.
When building I backed the truck to the shop and measured the bed and doubled checked while assembling. I had the table set up and did the same thing while building those shelves.
The small bed of the truck hold all three shelves, two folding tables, three large containers, two smaller containers, a aluminum hand truck that converts to a four wheel hand truck (mainly use it when leaving the show), two folding chairs and small table fit between the hand truck and tailgate, and a couple rolls of bubble wrapšŸ˜‚!
Bowls are well protected inside the containers.
Back seat has two small containers for fragile items, two bags with table cloths, cooler, and miscellaneous items.
Photo of the back of the truck is after removing the hand truck and chairs.
I do have plans to build collapsable columns and a better shelving type system similar to Donnaā€™s when I do more ā€œArtā€ type shows.
Also, while planning how I was going to display in a 10ā€™x10ā€™ space I taped off a section in my basement, hung curtains from a E-Z-Up on three sides and set everything up.

1722273497417.jpeg
1722273459039.jpeg
1722273423681.jpeg
1722273391006.jpeg

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
here is mine. I'm doing away with the mirror display and going to put a small set of shelves on top of the table. I'm going to have stands for the mirrors I display so they become art pieces. I keep the table because it gives me a place to store my bags and boxes and stuff.

Attachments

• 1000000797.jpg
    1000000797.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1000000795.jpg
    1000000795.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1000000796.jpg
    1000000796.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 71
I have a double A frame made from cedar fence panels a neighbor gave me . Each shelf consists of two boards. This is very light weight and easy to setup.IMG_3828.JPG

Also the next display has undergone a metamorphosis from bookcase in a book store to folding display. Originally I painted the shelves white and the width was 3 feet, but that got a little cumbersome to handle so I cut it to 2 feet and changed to black shelves.

IMG_8387.JPG

Folded
IMG_3923.JPG

Then I have 2 folding units one is 4 shelf and the other 3. These are painted light gray blue but may change to black. I do not have the exact measurements but is about 31 inches wide.

IMG_6584.JPG

Almost all of my shows are outside, thus the pop-up booth. All of the tables fold in half, and the shelf units fold flat. When I travel to a show, the tables and shelf units go into my pickup first, then all of my bins go on top of them. The booth goes along the side of the truck bed. I can even fit a hand truck in there.

Attachments

• Weingarden booth.jpg
    Weingarden booth.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 61
Back when I was occasionally putting work into exhibitions I made some stands/plinths with mirror tops for individual pieces. The mirrors tops provide a underside view as well as additional up lighting on the pieces. Perspex plinths allows for underside viewing but not the up lighting. As I was only ever submitting half a dozen pieces I didn't need to make the stands/plinths collapsible for transport...

IMG_3597.JPG

Display stands.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

IMG_8324.JPG

Nowadays I am happy to let the galleries do all of that.

Last edited:
Back