• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Legal ramification of demostration

I have a question that maybe someone on the forum may know the answer to the public librairy in my town like to put displays of local artist and last year they/we setup a display of woodturnings by my partener and me. There was alot of interest was shown. This year the libairy ask us to setup another display and do a demo of woodturning. My question is does the aaw insurance cover demos for the public? I think that this would be a good way to introduce peaple to the art of woodturning.

River Rat

I would think the library's insurance would cover any liability issues that could arise because they brought you out there.

My club recently did a turnathon for Freedom Pen at our local Mall... the only ones allowed to turn were AAW members because of insurance issues... the insurance will cover anyone (except the AAW member) hurt during the course of the demonstration...

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
demo liability

River Rat,

It sounds as if your club is NOT involved with the library demo. Therefore, I would seriously doubt that you would be covered by the AAW policy. And, as Old Griz correctly pointed out, at club sponsored demos only AAW members are covered for liability when turning.

Check with the library about liability. If you are not covered by them, then you may want to reconsider.

Check with the insurance company that issues your homeowner's policy. You MIGHT be covered by that, but make them determine that before you demo.

I'm doing a demo at a frame shop/"gallery" on Saturday and plan on turning at a slower speed and making only small objects. No bowls. I always turn a few mushrooms to give away. I got this idea from Stuart Batty. He told of doing a public demo on turning square bowls while the guy next to him was doing mushrooms. His audience was one-fifth that of the mushroom guy.

I don't have a plastic shield to put between my lathe and any onlookers, so if a child gets too close I will simply turn off the lathe, smile :D , and talk about turning. Once I have told them where it is safest to stand, and they have complied, I will turn the lathe back on. My point: The demonstrator is the best person to reduce liability problems. My regrets: We live in a litigious society.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Riverrat
When I do demos at the local level I always keep everything small and will often turn at a slower speed. That keeps the risk down to an extremely low level and I don't fret over the insurance. Maybe that's irresponsible but I feel doing demos this way reduces the possibility of injury to anyone near me to almost 0.
I've done who knows how many demos at local events and elementary schools and the only injury was my pride when I broke an ornament.
Keep it simple.

My club owns two lexan shields that are actually set up to bolt to the club lathe's stand. All members are highly encouraged to check out the shield and use it in any demo they give. The club won't demo turn, PERIOD, if we don't have the shield available. Shrapnel sucks.

For quick reference, Lexan is what they use to make face masks for police helmets. Pretty much shatterproof and holds up to shock great. You can pick up a 3x2' piece for $40-50 and mount it up on a frame. Good investment if you're gonna be doing fairs and shows.

IMHO,
Dietrich

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
Shields are a good idea

At a demo my club did earlier this year, a chuck jaw failed and flew off the chuck. Fortunately the crowd was clear, but even turning at low speed we found the jaw about 15 feet away in front of the lathe. Make sure your crowd is clear of the "firing line" and you have triple checked all of the equipment to be used.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
be prudent

When I demo for the public I always use a sheild. I think it would be negligence on my part to not use a sheild. It is very common for kids to run up to the lathe eye high to the work. Museums and woodshows usually require a shield. The sidewalk demos I do for galleries and art ogranizations don't require sheild but I always use one.

I feel very confident that the public is quite safe at my turning demos.
However if anything were to happen I want to be in a positon to show that I took reasonable precautions to prevent foreseable injuries.

happy turning,
Al

a shield is always a good idea whether or not you are doing a demo. I have a lage dust collection hood on the back side of the lathe and an osha certified lexan one on the front side. The nice thing about putting the one on the front side was I could get rid of the face shield in favor or just my safety glasses and air filter.

Back