• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Specs...

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
PM3520- Minor Correction

Walter, Great job. Thanks.

Per Manuals PM3520:
B Model: Spindle Speeds low 50-1200, high 125-3200; Weight 630#; Distance between centers 34-1/2
A Model: Spindle Speeds low 0-1200, high 0-3200; Weight 650#; Distance between centers 34-1/2

Maybe the 20# weight difference is due to the headstock and tailstock redesigns.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I don't think the stubby 750 has a 20-40" swing. I think it is 15-30.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
Hi Ed:

All Robust lathes are 220volt. We've discontinued the 18" but now do have a 16".

Also, and this is very minor, the 25" is either 2 HPor 3 HP. When you write it as 2/3 HP it looks like two-thirds HP. Maybe a dash would be better than a slash as in "2 - 3 HP". Not sure if others are confused by this or not, but I was.

Anyway, thanks for doing this, I think it's a very helpful document.

Take care and Happy Holidays to all !

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi Ed:

All Robust lathes are 220volt. We've discontinued the 18" but now do have a 16".

Also, and this is very minor, the 25" is either 2 HPor 3 HP. When you write it as 2/3 HP it looks like two-thirds HP. Maybe a dash would be better than a slash as in "2 - 3 HP". Not sure if others are confused by this or not, but I was.

Anyway, thanks for doing this, I think it's a very helpful document.

Take care and Happy Holidays to all !

I saw that and started to comment, but didn't have a good solution to the notation on motor size other than explicitly stating "2 or 3 HP available".

I also thought about suggesting that the voltages should state 120 or 240, but that is a nit. On the Delta 46-715, the speed specs seem to vary from time to time in their literature and, indeed, being a Reeves drive of this type, the belt length becomes factor in spindle speed. Additionally, the spring tension also effects the speed slightly. On my lathe, I measured the speed range to be 480 to 2300 RPM.

FWIW, the speed regulation is not very good -- not because of the motor -- the motor is fine -- The changes in torque load affect the spring tension, which changes the effective diameter of the motor pulley, hence the spindle speed changes. In one way this is good because as the torque load changes, the spindle slows down which enables it to deliver greater torque.

Bill

Missing Laguna?

I do not see Laguna on your list, they have a new 18/47 oh... missed it..... they still have a new one....

VL 100 Vicmarc

Ed, My thanks to you for all your trouble getting this set up for presentation. It's a wonderful, helpful information sheet for anyone shopping for a lathe.

A small note about the VL 100 Vicmarc. The Bench Model is one they sell for you to put your own motor on. Their manual states that the VL 100 Bench model speeds as posted on the headstock are figured for a 1440 rpm motor (common in Australia), using the supplied pulleys. I have a VL100 bench model that I put a 1720 rpm motor (common in USA) on, and the speeds are significantly higher.
Speeds for a 1720 rpm motor: (Figured mathematically, and rounded up to the next 1 rpm) 682 - 1138 - 1402 - 2120 - 2564 - 4313.
Needless to say I don't use the high speed. :)

Ed, My thanks to you for all your trouble getting this set up for presentation. It's a wonderful, helpful information sheet for anyone shopping for a lathe.

A small note about the VL 100 Vicmarc. The Bench Model is one they sell for you to put your own motor on. Their manual states that the VL 100 Bench model speeds as posted on the headstock are figured for a 1440 rpm motor (common in Australia), using the supplied pulleys. I have a VL100 bench model that I put a 1720 rpm motor (common in USA) on, and the speeds are significantly higher.
Speeds for a 1720 rpm motor: (Figured mathematically, and rounded up to the next 1 rpm) 682 - 1138 - 1402 - 2120 - 2564 - 4313.
Needless to say I don't use the high speed. :)

My thanks too, Ed.

Speed conversions for Australian lathes are generally simply a consequence of different power frequencies. Oz uses 50Hz, whereas Oosa uses 60Hz. 1440 x 6/5 = 1728 - rounds to 1720. So just take the Oz speeds and multiply by 6/5; multiply by 5/6 for USA lathes and other power tools used in Australia.

Joe

Back