• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lake Tahoe Fires!

I heard on the news today that there is a very severe and bad fire at Lake Tahoe - Malcolm Tibbets home. I was wondering if his home is ok and if he himself has survived this unfortunate situation. Has anyone any news? We should get in touch with him if at all possible. I guess that would be up to the board. Hope someone has some information.

Bill

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Bill, we may not hear from Malcolm right away, the fire is in his general neighborhood

The fire began Sunday afternoon on a ridge separating the resort community of South Lake Tahoe from Fallen Leaf Lake, a recreation area where a U.S. Forest Service campground was evacuated.

Malcolm's mailing address is South Lake Tahoe

Let us hope and he and his, are, and remain safe

Update (from the fire commands web site)
# Current Fire Behavior has moderated due to favorable weather conditions. Winds are light and temperatures are not hot. Fire activity has decreased. Crews are working on protective lines around subdivisions and mopping up. Helicopters are working the fire today.
# Evacuation: Mandatory evacuations are still in effect for Tahoe Paradise, Fallen Leaf Campground, Tahoe Mountain, and Upper Angora areas. Voluntary evacuations are in effect for Gardner Mountain. The Evacuation Center is at South Tahoe Parks and Recreation at 1180 Rufus Allen Blvd. (530) 541-2850.
# Road Closures: Highway 50 at Pollock Pines (Sly Park exit). Highway 89 south of DL Bliss State. Highway 50 at Stateline. The road remains closed due to safety concerns
Other news: 240 structures destroyed, fire 40% contained.

Last edited:
Better News

Al, thanks for the update. We need to keep Malcolm and his wife in our prayers. I really feel badly for those who have lost their homes and everything they have worked for. That would be a terrible disaster. Please keep us posted on the current situation there. Thanks.

Back