• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

LAGUNA 1216 Bed Extension

Hello fellow Geniuses,
This is my first ask so I hope I am in bounds. I have a new Laguna 1216 that I bought this past June. I bought it with the 10” off board extension. I just moved it from the left side of the headstock to the right side where the tailstock now slides back and forth over the joint. Its not a real stellar fit. Yes both the tailstock and the banjo make noise when traversing over the joint. My pals have tried to get it level but no matter what they do it ends up a bit high. I am talking a thumbnail catch on one side. If you hold the tailstock slightly forward you don’t feel it at all. from side to side the way rails are really hinky but that does not seem to effect anything. So for a sub $1,000.00 lathe is this an exceptable tolerance? Thank You! One more question. Why on earth would a company like Laguna Tools change the power switch from the international standard of RED/GREEN to White over Black? Is it just me that questions this? Am I the first to notice that the off button is Black?
thank you much.
The New Guy,
Thom

You have already had a few sets of eyes on it so this is probably a long shot. I would check the bolt holes on the extension, might have to be fettled a bit to lower extension by a fingernail...
As to the white over black power switch, I've seen that before, I think the RED/GREEN clashed with their color scheme...
I believe we are in the era of, it doesn't have to work/make sense, it just has to look good...

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Thom! I’m not sure of your assembly process, BUT something helpful when installing a bed extension:
  1. Connect the extension to the bed and put the bolts and nuts on snug but don’t tighten yet.
  2. Move the tailstock to the joint and tighten it in place. This should bring the extension flush to the bed.
  3. With the tailstock clamped in place, tighten the nuts/bolts that connect the extension to the bed.
This should insure that everything is perfectly flush. I hope it helps! (Note: I do not have a Laguna, but this is the process I use for my Vicmarc)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The 10" outboard bed isn’t designed to be used as an extension to the main bed. Its purpose is to give the lathe a little greater swing for bowl turning. There is a 20" bed extension available that hopefully aligns with the lathe bed better than the 10" outboard bed … at least, that’s what I saw in the Laguna video. :rolleyes:

Along with the black and white button, on my Rikon mini lathe, the start stop is a twist to turn on, and a push to stop. Makes no sense to me at all.... Either twist on/off, or pull/push on/off.....

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Along with the black and white button, on my Rikon mini lathe, the start stop is a twist to turn on, and a push to stop. Makes no sense to me at all.... Either twist on/off, or pull/push on/off.....

robo hippy

Other than the color and shape, it's really no different than the red mushroom power button on the left leg skirt of your Robust AB. There are start and stop switches on the pendant of your Robust, but they are just function switches and don't control power on and off. On thr Rikon, start and stop actually are power on ans off.

Hi Thom! I’m not sure of your assembly process, BUT something helpful when installing a bed extension:
  1. Connect the extension to the bed and put the bolts and nuts on snug but don’t tighten yet.
  2. Move the tailstock to the joint and tighten it in place. This should bring the extension flush to the bed.
  3. With the tailstock clamped in place, tighten the nuts/bolts that connect the extension to the bed.
This should insure that everything is perfectly flush. I hope it helps! (Note: I do not have a Laguna, but this is the process I use for my Vicmarc)
Thanks for the tip Mike, I have a Laguna and your tip worked perfect today. The tool rest and tailstock slide over the joint without catching. I was going to make a jig to do the same thing but not needed now. You should turn this in to Joshua Friend since he is asking for tips and tricks to publish.

Back