• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ken Barrett

Hi all, I've been a member for about a month and just started diving into the forums here. My first experience with turning was in high school many years ago and bought a lathe from Harbor Freight 20 years ago and didn't get to use it much. I got it out of storage last year and started doing simple spindles and bowls. I found my lathe wasn't up to the task for some things I wanted to turn and my tools weren't either so I upgraded to a Nova comet 14DR midi and collected a variety of Sorby and Thompson tools.

I've spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos and mimicking what I see and learned a lot. My biggest influence has been Mike Peace and hope to learn more from the other turners here and help out when I can.

Thanks for having me.
Ken

Ken,

If you still have your old lathe, you can mount a steel shaft between centers and mount some buffing wheels to the shaft and use it for a buffing station for polishing up turned pieces.

Back