• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Keith Lowe

I'll subject you to my unsolicited, standard "new to woodturning" advice.
- find the nearest local AAW chapter and join it. The dues are usually minimal and the payback often enormous. It looks like the chapter nearest to you is
Carolina Mountain Woodturners
Asheville NC
United States

- get professional instruction, trying to teach yourself is difficult and potentially dangerous (some of the things you see on YouTube are unsafe), you can't adequately judge the advice you receive until you have a solid understanding of the basics, a good professional instructor will have you up and running in a week or less
- join AAW, I find that it is worth the dues

Welcome and safe turning!

I'll subject you to my unsolicited, standard "new to woodturning" advice.
- find the nearest local AAW chapter and join it. The dues are usually minimal and the payback often enormous. It looks like the chapter nearest to you is
Carolina Mountain Woodturners
Asheville NC
United States

- get professional instruction, trying to teach yourself is difficult and potentially dangerous (some of the things you see on YouTube are unsafe), you can't adequately judge the advice you receive until you have a solid understanding of the basics, a good professional instructor will have you up and running in a week or less
- join AAW, I find that it is worth the dues

Welcome and safe turning!
Great advice Jim. I joined CMW a few months ago and have take a couple of beginner classes. I'll join AAW next. I'm signed up for a weekend class with David Ellsworth in June and want to get more experience before I go.

You’re on a great path. Now it’s just practicing what you’ve learned. Some clubs have a mentoring program. That can be helpful. I’m jealous of your going to a David Ellsworth class. I’ve only seen him on an IRD. Best of luck.

Back