• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Journal on Ipad?

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I noticed in the members area, when accessing the on-line editions of the journal that there was an Ipad application. That was exciting. Maybe I could cancel my print edition, get rid of my old copies and read magazines conveniently on the Ipad2 I conveniently inherited from my wife when I bought her the new one.

But it looks to me as tho the implementation is different than that:
- It seems to use a somewhat intrusive 3rd party application issuu.com that wants my exact age, and permission to link "friends" to my email. No way to opt out of those requests that I can see. Not something I am willing to do. (I am old as dirt and reclusive, and want to keep it that way.)
- Only a couple issues are available. More promised. I had hoped that it would be an alternative, members only, way to access the entire library in a more readable way, and handy on the Ipad.
- It looks like each issue has to be subscribed to separately, without access seamlessly to the entire archive of issues
- I did a search for an app on my Ipad and could find nothing.

Wouldn't it be better to have a ipad app that mimics the web site access capability? Am I missing something?

I hoped that an alternative was to use Safari on the Ipad to access the flash based on-line journal. Nope, can't seem to bring it up. I will research how to get flash based content on the Ipad.

In any case I appreciate the intent of the notice of an Ipad app, but would like to know the plan for an actual app and the how to's on it. I can well understand this may be premature given that it is a new feature, and may have to wait. Again I hope it mimics in some way the nice members only interface on the web site. I can well understand that the use of Flash for the current archive makes it tricky to set up an equivalent service on the Flash phobic apple device.

In any case, congratulations for moving in this positive direction and I look forward to using it (once I understand the drill.)

Meantime I will enjoy Journal access on my Flash enabled Macbook Air. I expect that or an equivalent service will continue unabated?

Jerry

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jerry,

With all that the IPAD does it is hard to remember it is not a real computer.
There is a limited number of web features the safari does not support.
One is the journal display ( some type of adobe I think)
And lots of flash displays.
To get around this there are apps and other stuff that take the web site IPAD does not support and translates it into something the IPAD can display.
In the case of the journal it gets shipped off to some other web site to do the translation.

There is sort of a whole cottage industry of things to overcome the IPAD restrictions.

That exhausts my technical expertise.

The publication committee and Betty are investigating at electronic distribution using something like kindle ( adds $$$$)

Al

Last edited:
I access all issues on my iPad using an app called Photon Browser. It allows me to access almost all flash based media without any issues. I say almost simply because I haven't tried hundreds of different sites. It's worked on every flash based I've tried.

Guess I should give that disclaimer thing about not being affiliated with or have any interest in the company that makes that app. Just a happy customer.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Issuu.com Works

I guess as is often the case for me, I jumped a little quick. Looks like my account with issuu.com was established. I went into it with Safari on the Ipad and was able to browse Journals for June and December 2011. It works quite well, with gestures to expand the text and then in a second or two it clarifies quite well. A search on wood turns up a lot of wood related pubs, available or planned. Catalogs Magazines. Looks like a promising resource. And that more selected AAW pubs are on the way.

Good start by AAW staff! Looks like they selected a very interesting and polished service to get AAW material electronically published without the encumbrance of Flash technology. I am curious if there is a plan to make all the Journal issues available on a members only basis, or if we will stick with the present method for members and use issuu for samples available to the public.

In reading reviews for issuu.com looks like it allows anyone to self publish and upload material that can be viewed in their very polished reader.

Brian, Thanks for the reference to Photon Browser. I will give it a try. I tried ISwifter which is an Ipad browser that claims similar capabilities. But it works marginally with the Journal archive at first try.

Jerry

I am curious if there is a plan to make all the Journal issues available on a members only basis, or if we will stick with the present method for members and use issuu for samples available to the public. Jerry

Jean LeGwin (chair of the publications committee) and I are looking into e-publication of the journal and hope to have an actual AW app sometime yet this year so that the most current journals will be available for downloading to members. As for making all the back issues e-reader available, that will depend on funding next year. Would be nice if it happens!

The explosion of interest in e-readers just these past two years is amazing. (But for the majority of folks who still want a paper copy of the journal, that will continue for a very long time.)

In addition, we are in the early stages of looking into adding video to some of the journal articles. That'll take awhile longer, of course, because the video content has to be developed in a way that is professional and with the upmost safety in mind. Not to mention additional editorial staff.

For those of you who want the journal downloadable to e-readers, lobby an AAW Board member with a personal email. That is much more effective than posting on the Forum (most board members don't read the Forum) ....

dale@woodturner.org
jean@woodturner.org
botho@woodturner.org
stan@woodturner.org
cassandra@woodturner.org
binh@woodturner.org
kurt@woodturner.org
warren@woodturner.org
tom@woodturner.org

phil@woodturner.org

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Back