• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Journal index search

I do appreciate the AAW Journal. I read it cover to cover when it arrives. But the Journal Index search seems to me to be only half right. Couldn't the search be set up to go live? I mean after finding the topic and the issue, can't it be made interactive? Search, find and click? I know it probably would take a bit of work, but boy would it be appreciated by me, and I'm sure many others.
Bruce

Bruce, yes, a live search would be awesome! As Bill says, "time and money." The desire is there, though, so maybe that will happen in time. At least there is an index. (BTW, if you come across anything wrong in the index, let us know and we'll get it fixed.)

Years ago as a volunteer, Jean LeGwin, who just retired from six years as an AAW Board member, scanned all the back issues of the journal so they could be posted on AAW's website and be available to AAW members. It took her a couple of years to do this, sometimes scanning one page several times to get it right. We are fortunate to have that resource thanks to Jean's vision and volunteer efforts.

Then the journal was indexed, which was a paid-for job. I've used that index countless times!

Jean has recently overseen the development of a series of books that are made up of past journal articles. The first four were published early last year, then the next three after that. There are several more series in the works. John Kelsey, former editor of Fine Woodworking, is selecting the articles by themes. Those books are a valuable asset to anyone's shop.

The next stage, which will happen this year, is to make the current issues available in e-reader format.

I guess what I'm saying is that it really only takes one person with vision and volunteer work to make things happen within the AAW. Even a quick email to every AAW Board member makes your voice heard. Send one today. Then get your buddies to send one too. The Board and AAW's executive director do listen to members. If you want a searchable index, speak up directly, then don't give up. You could make it happen.

Betty Scarpino, Editor (for a few more months :D), American Woodturner

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The next stage, which will happen this year, is to make the current issues available in e-reader format.

BTW, Betty, I have been downloading the Journals to my NOOK Color tablet and they work just fine. I think that most devices can handle PDF documents, but I need to check out the newer devices.

Betty Scarpino, Editor (for a few more months :D), American Woodturner

I thought that you were handed a life sentence. :D

Are you hinting at some sort of breakout?

Bill, yes the PDFs can already be downloaded, but the e-reader version will be nicer to navigate and read.

A few days ago, I announced on the "Association News" area of the Forum that I will not be renewing my editing contract when it expires later this year ("Back to Turning"). The announcement for the job opening will be broadcast next week, including being posted on AAW's website. Out of jail? Not a life sentence? Sometimes it felt like being in jail with deadlines always looming, but overall it's been a pleasure and privilege to edit the journal!

The new editor could be hired right away or it might take awhile, which is why I gave a lengthy notice. Right away would be good. Awhile would be okay. I'm committed to a smooth transition and am sure the next editor will be just what we need.

I will return to my own woodturning and artwork. 2014 is already a fabulous year!

Betty Scarpino, Editor (for a few more months :D, American Woodturner

Back