• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jim Boissier

Hello. My name is Jim Boissier. I'm very glad to be here as I've been learning to turn in a vacuum which is difficult. I live about an hour north of San Francisco since retiring 7 years ago. About 6 years ago my Dad gave me a small lathe (Delta 46-250 "Midi") he bought 20 or so years ago as he is no longer able to use it. It sat on my work bench collecting dust until just before last Christmas. Last November my wife got a hole in one playing golf and I thought it would be fun to make here a shadow box containing the ball and her score card. I needed to make a stylized tee to hold the ball and thought maybe the lathe would work for that. After all I had a wooden closet rod I could turn down to the correct shape and the lathe came with some Craftsman chisels. Well I'm here to tell you closet rods make poor turning stock. So ordered some kits and wood from Rockler, some rather soft HSS tools from HF and am now totally hooked (that vortex thing you know). Made some Christmas gifts and am now turning oak from my firewood pile. I think I've, running out of things to make handles for. :) I've yet to make a bowl as I haven't the skills or knowledge or a bowl gouge yet but do have a line on a local club. Oh, and I did finish the shadow box and the tee. I substituted alligator juniper for the closet rod. Thanks for having me and I look forward getting a LOT of questions answered.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello. My name is Jim Boissier. I'm very glad to be here as I've been learning to turn in a vacuum which is difficult. I live about an hour north of San Francisco since retiring 7 years ago. About 6 years ago my Dad gave me a small lathe (Delta 46-250 "Midi") he bought 20 or so years ago as he is no longer able to use it. It sat on my work bench collecting dust until just before last Christmas. Last November my wife got a hole in one playing golf and I thought it would be fun to make here a shadow box containing the ball and her score card. I needed to make a stylized tee to hold the ball and thought maybe the lathe would work for that. After all I had a wooden closet rod I could turn down to the correct shape and the lathe came with some Craftsman chisels. Well I'm here to tell you closet rods make poor turning stock. So ordered some kits and wood from Rockler, some rather soft HSS tools from HF and am now totally hooked (that vortex thing you know). Made some Christmas gifts and am now turning oak from my firewood pile. I think I've, running out of things to make handles for. :) I've yet to make a bowl as I haven't the skills or knowledge or a bowl gouge yet but do have a line on a local club. Oh, and I did finish the shadow box and the tee. I substituted alligator juniper for the closet rod. Thanks for having me and I look forward getting a LOT of questions answered.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard, Jim and great story about how you fell into the vortex. Next time saw a piece off the end of a mop handle and tell your wife that a shorter mop handle is more ergonomic. :D

Haha. As much as I like to spend time in my shop I like coming inside the house too. You know...things like food, warm bed and so on.

Welcome. Lowe's has various hardwood dowels that could be used for turning. My first turning was with a piece of 2x4 and a Stanley wood chisel. Not a good combination or result.
Congrats on the ace! Jack Nicklaus only had a handful, considering how may holes he played over the years.

Thanks for the kind welcomes. John just for the sake of full disclosure it was my wife that got the hole in one. She's a much better golfer than I am. Thanks for the tip on the dowels. I've turned a couple Home depot soaking wet 2x4 studs with a skew. Now my nerves are shot.:eek:

Back