• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jewlery Boxes

I'm looking to make my wife a Jewlery Box this weekend and am wondering if there is some special product that is used to line the interior of a lidded box. My first guess was to pick up some velvet or felt to line the interior with, but I thought I would give the forum a try.

Thoughts?

Felt is good for easy shapes. Adheres well, and is a good-looking as the effort you put in to fitting it. Flocking is a bit easier, though not as long-wearing, and would be the method of my choice for a turned jewelry container.

NB : Don't use an oil lube for sanding, or oil to "pop" the grain and expect either method to work well.

We had a box turner who did a demo for our club, and he said that when he started flocking his boxes, they really started selling well for him. Well, I went and got all of the flocking supplies, and started flocking my boxes. Of course, the first day I had them out, the first person to look at them asked me if I had any that were not flocked. I don't flock them any more.
robo hippy

Back