• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

JET Lathe - Bearing Replacement - DISCONNECT AC POWER

I was in the process of changing the bearings on my 1221. Easy Peasy since I'd done it before. Obviously the lathe was turned OFF. Unplugged? Nah. I'm not messing with the electrical stuff. Right?

WRONG!!! As I was sliding the pully from the shaft, the key that keeps the pully from turning on the shaft fell onto the speed sensor fell onto the speed sensor.

A pop and a few sparks later, I have a fried speed sensor and a dead lathe.

This just happened, so I haven't determined the full extent of the damage. I will update this post as I assess things.

I've been thinking about getting a bigger lathe. I just hope this isn't the trigger. This little 1221 has been an absolute jewel for my purposes.

Cheers!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I learned very early to ALWAYS unplug or disconnect machine/equipment from its power source/battery when it is being serviced (other than simple cosmetic stuff.)

I have had lots of little "unexpected, but preventable" mishaps - usually to self, sometimes to machine, sometimes to tools. I've had gas engines give a sudden "burp" when rolling it over (and busted a flywheel fin and bent screwdriver) because I didn't unhook spark plug before servicing the recoil starter... I've had cars & tractors both give me nasty burns and shocks because I didn't unhook the battery properly and touched some bare spot to cause a short to ground... I have had residual shocks on power tools (and a nasty short that ruined my wire cutters) because I didn't physically unplug and just assumed that flipping the breaker was enough... (But electronics can still hold considerable electrical charges in capacitors and the like, even if unplugged!)

Good luck on getting your machine repaired and hopefully you have better luck than I usually do, and don't have to spend half again as much as a new machine to get it fixed..

Good luck on getting your machine repaired and hopefully you have better luck than I usually do, and don't have to spend half again as much as a new machine to get it fixed..
It looks like a new JET 1221 runs about $1000.

I had to replace the circuit (control) board, the motor speed sensor, the headstock speed sensor, and the speed pot. My little 1221 and I are back in business.

As for cost, I snuck in for just under $500. While waiting for parts I developed a bad case of New Lathe Fever.

Cheers!

Back