• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1642-EVS-2 / Nova DVR XP / PM3520B

drh

I have been turning for about 2 years and have a Delta 46-715, 3/4 hp so it's time for an upgrade. I'm leaning towards the Jet mainly due to price, although the Nova or PM would definately not break the bank. The Jet, currently on sale at $1400 compared to Nova at $2300 incl stand and PM3520B at $2700, it just seems like the Jet is too good of a deal to pass up. From other posts, I know that the PM is well regarded but is it worth almost double the price of the Jet? (not sure how many bowls over 16" I would turn but what little I might could be turned outboard) The other factor is my shop is in the basement so getting the the heavier PM down the stairs might be a challenge. From what I've learned, the Jet comes disassembled so that tells me it's not a problem to bring down in pieces and assemble, whereas the PM comes assembled which leads me to think that it must be a chore to disassemble and reassemble (otherwise why wouldn't it be shipped disassembled?) The only advantage to the Nova that I can see is the pivoting head which is the one feature I like with my Delta. Bit is there a disadvantage to that feature? (why don't others have that feature, there must be a logical reason)

So that's where I'm at in my deliberations, and would appreciate some comments from other Jet / Nova / PM users.

Dennis

New Lathe Selection

Hi,
First let me dispel a misconception: the PM3520 is delivered (or picked up at the freight dock) disassembled just as the Jet is. So getting it into your basement would not be as much of a struggle.

Second, for some differences, the PM has a few features not available on the Jet: the PM is heavier so less vibration, and may not need bolting to the floor; the tailstock is much beefier, and has a bigger wheel for adjustment plus a storage area inside; the PM comes standard with a 2HP motor, which is an extra on the Jet, and the PM will run on 220V single phase; the PM comes with additional holes in the tailstock end that allow the option of mounting the 18" bed extension down low to allow oversized turning at that end. Or, you can simply slide the headstock to the tailstock end and turn bowls and hollow forms without needing an outboard rest!

I recently purchased the PM, and I am thoroughly pleased with it. I have limited exposure to the Nova, but am conviced that I spent my money the best way for me! Good Luck!
Kurt

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Ditto

what KurtB said, :D

PM3520 owner here - love it.

You might try and wait to get it at Richmond, I bought mine at Portland, it was 2300 something err, also bought the 18'' extension bed at the same time (also on sale). It came to about 2600 total, delivered to my garage.

The Powermatic booth guys took me over to the Woodcraft store booth on the sales floor in Portland, the actual sale was made through them.

Got a great deal and don't regret a thing.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
You will be happy with the Jet. If you can afford it you will be very happy with the PM. The Nova at close to the price of the PM is not in the same league, but it is more compact and handy in a small shop. I like the Jet/PM analog speed control much better than the incremental step control of the Nova. All three have very good manufacturer support.

HERE are a bunch of reviews and discussions on this very subject.

Tried out Jet 16-42

Our club just purchased the Jet 16-42 EVS. Nice lathe.
Ours is 1.5 hp on 110-v.
You are doing well to consider the 2 hp at 220-v as our 1.5hp unit showed to be underpowered.

Under the guise of "trying out" the lathe, I grabbed a 5 yr. old block of Cedar Elm and checked it out.
My observations:
16" is streching the design limit of the lathe, imo. At this size and with the tool rest extended to bring the thing to round, there is flex in the system. Taking heavy cuts to hollow the larger diameter also showed the same weakness. Not necessarly unsafe, but slightly unnerving.

My conclusion was that 16" isn't enough upgrade from my current 12" lathe. And that I can turn 16" outboard with what I have now.
So if you want to really explore the 16" range of turnings, the heavier PM would be worth considering even though the Jet will handle it. Safer and easier is worth some premium.

T-Bird

Attachments

• 100_0566a_close-fit.gif
    100_0566a_close-fit.gif
    35.4 KB · Views: 407

drh

need a little more info

Thanks for the info so far, I had a feeling the consensus would end up having me think more seroiusly about the PM over the Jet. Space might be the deciding factor. My lathe is in a small room off of my main workshop, 6' by 8'2"

I'm having trouble with dimensions from Jet and PM websites. Jet says overall 63.5" by 20" so I'm assuming that is from the end of the motor to the end of the tailstock fully extended, with 42" between centers. Jet doesn't give the footprint dimensions but also says the length is 58.5" (5" less than overall length) and width is 28.5" (8.5" more than overall) So I'm thinking the length is from the end of the motor and the extra 5" is the tailstock handle. The 20" overall width is probably the base width and the 28.5" would include the control box, handles, etc. Are there any Jet owners who can confirm dimensions and if I locate the lathe with motor tight to left wall, is there still room to insert the knockout rod into the headstock?

For the PM owners, their website gives the footprint as 50" by 24" and the overall dimension as 75" by 27" with 34.5" between centers. That's starting to get pretty tight for my room, does the motor and tailstock overhang plus handle really take up another 25"? What is the dimension from the outside of the left leg to the end of the motor, and again, will I be able to insert the knockout rod into the headstock if the motor is tight to the wall, which it will have to be if I ever want to turn outboard. And it doesn't look like I'll have room for the 18" bed extension and still leave working room off the end if it's really 75" long. So while the PM is a tempting option, space may push me more towards the Jet.

Dennis

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Knock out bar issue -

won't be one with the PM - the headstock is movable to any location along its length - for turning bowls and shorter work between centers - you could move the headstock to the center along the ways and have plenty of room for the knock out bar.

My $0.02

Hey there,

I struggled over the exact same issue for almost 6 months before deciding on buying the 3520B. It's not that I will be turning any 20" bowls, frankly it's hard to find wood that big where I live. But when you have a piece that's not already round, or if a piece is not perfectly centered and balanced, I wanted the extra space to work with it. The other thing you're paying for with the PM is the weight!!! the PM weighs a good 300lbs more than the Jet 1642, and at least that compared to the Nova. This was a big plus to me as I turn many pieces purposefully off-center.

As far as the space goes, the footprint of the 3520B (think on just the two legs and bed) is 50"L x 24"D, and that of the 1642 (Jet) (just legs and bed) is 64"L x 20"D. The motor dimensions are not included in the above since you can slide the headstock over the bed until the motor doesn't overhang at all. I can't recall about the knockout bar deal, I would suspect the length of the bar is less than the length of the motor, so you may not want to place it right up against a wall.

I've turned on the Jet, if you decide on the 1642, I would recommend the 2Hp if you can swing the 220v. You won't be disappointed, but may find yourself wanting to upgrade to the PM 5 years down the road. I am not too familiar with the Nova, except to say it really isn't in the same league as the Jet of PM when you consider the lathe's capabilities.

Overall, I think the 3520 is the best lathe on the market for the money. If finances are an issue, go with the Jet, otherwise strongly consider the 3520; it's the last lathe you'll ever need to buy!

Just my 2 cents.

I've got a non-DVR 3000, old style. I've turned on the big iron, played with speed knobs and dials, used 1/3 to 3HP. Which is why I say the 16-24 at a grand is all you'll need at 15.75 (400mm) over the bed, and can also be turned out for larger pieces. Since it has reverse on it, if you get the locking insert for your chuck, you can swing the piece out and cut clockwise like we did in the old days on the outboard end. That way you can take advantage of the excellent toolrest and banjo provided, a definite weak spot in the JET, now that I've been spoiled with the offset post.

It's got the slow speeds, it's 15 amps at 120, which is more than I have, and I do max swing and eight-nine deep just fine. Rigidity is good, weight is a red herring, since you can bolt on as much as you care to, just like the others. The new iron stand has excellent geometry through a broad footprint, but you can weight rather than choose the lower speed if you feel you must.

A bargain, and quite compact. Extensions available.

I own both the DVR3000 and the 3520b and yes they are two different lathes and I would not part with either one. One head slides the other one turns. I have them both running on 220v. They are both quiet and powerful. The way the DVR speeds go up and down is an issue with some but not being a production turner it does not bother me. At the moment the DVR is dedicated to the Nova Ornamental Turner which has a ton of possibilities and the 3520b for everything else at this time. You will not go wrong with any of those three choices.

R

Ron Sardo

The other factor is my shop is in the basement so getting the the heavier PM down the stairs might be a challenge.
Dennis

I just moved a new 3520B into my basement shop by myself. It can be done. If you go this route contact me

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have been turning for about 2 years .... The Jet, currently on sale at $1400 compared to Nova at $2300 incl stand and PM3520B at $2700, it just seems like the Jet is too good of a deal to pass up.
Dennis

My suggestion is to Buy the Jet. Spend the $1300 on a master class with a really good turner. go to Arromwmont, Campbell, Anderson ranch, or the turner's studio like (Ellsworth and Bosch). You will be so much happier with the quality of your work and the pleasure you get from turning.

When Jet prices the Jet $1000 less than the Powermatic go for the jet.
Jet used to price it $500 less it is hard not to buy the Powermatic.
Neither machine will make you a better turner. good instruction will!

No question the Powermatic is a better lathe than the Jet.
The Vicmar is better than the Powermatic and the Oneway and Stubby are better yet.

The Jet is a lot of machine and decent locks on the tool rest and tailstock.

Happy Turning
Al

Last edited:

drh

Laguna 18/47 ??

Hi again, thanks for all the input, the last comment from Al has given me even more food for thought.

Since I'm going to be in California in March, thought I'd take a look at Laguna. Kind of solves my dilemma over maybe outgrowing the Jet as time goes on versus thinking that the Powermatic is more lathe than I'd ever need.

If anyone has seen or heard anything about the Laguna, I'd like to hear about it.

Dennis

18/47

i am also wondering about the 18/47 , back inside page of AW has it at $1695, i went to web site and they are suppose to be sending me a cd showing lathes details but have not received it yet, the web site states that the
"Lathe operates on single phase 220 volt while the motor is a three phase motor with constant torque monitoring."
i need to know what that means to a turner and if that is good, better, best type of motor to have, compared to other machines in that price range.

looking for comments:cool2:

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Like my Jet 1642

I bought my 1642 (1 1/2 hp) for basically the reasons stated by Al above. I have absolutely no issue with it. But then, I'm pretty new at this and I haven't used any other "decent" lathe.

I did notice yesterday that when I started roughing out a big 15" slab of walnut I had a problem with catching and stalling. It was literally a slab from my sawmill and I didn't put much effort into rounding it off beforehand. It is also possible I need to spend more of the money saved on some of those classes mentioned above.

Looking forward to the day when I advance my skill enough that the 1642 just doesn't hack it. That's sure not a problem at the moment.

drh

three phase motors

i am also wondering about the 18/47 , back inside page of AW has it at $1695, i went to web site and they are suppose to be sending me a cd showing lathes details but have not received it yet, the web site states that the i need to know what that means to a turner and if that is good, better, best type of motor to have, compared to other machines in that price range.

looking for comments:cool2:

I wish I could remember my electrical theory from apprenticeship school 40+ years ago, but in a nutshell, from what I do remember - 3 phase motors are more efficient, and i believe they're easier to control speed and to reverse rotation. There's quite a discussion on
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Threephase_motors_101.html

But there's some mis-information as well ( the 2nd post from contributor M is way off base.

But what does it mean to a woodturner? Not much, Jet and Powermatic use a 3 phase motor controlled by a single phase controller, the same as Laguna. So from your perspective, you connect the lathe up to 230 volt single phase and let the black box do the rest.:)

Dennis

Back