• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1642 digital readout

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Sure, put electrical tape over the display. :eek:

That's only a half smart-assed answer.

On the anal-engineer, just-want-things-right side of life, I don't have an answer for you.

On the zen, Let It Be side of life, why do you need to know the rpm of the lathe? Start it rotating slowly and bring the speed up until it gets to shaking or "seems right" - which is a technical term along the lines of "I know it when I see it" - I think we all know what that point is with just a little turning experience.

It's only in the last, what, say 15 years that digital readouts were stuck on wood lathes? A sales "feature" in my view and unneeded. Consider the thousands of years with no digital readout...

Thanks much, please do the same with your sphygmomanometer

Interesting reply. As a 5-year coronary patient who gets very regular cardiac checkups, I have yet to visit either my primary doctor or cardiologist and have my BP taken by anything other than the old-fashioned pressure cuff, stethoscope and mercury column.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
As an engineer, I would consider a digital readout really important only if I were doing something to the lathe along the lines of a design modification, but for the purpose of turning wood, I haven't encountered any situation where it would be particularly useful for anything more than academic interest.

The shaft mounted RPM indicators used on many lathes are simple devices and not particularly accurate anyway, especially at low speeds. I suppose that the display uses a sample-and-hold type readout and whenever the speed goes below some threshold (possibly 120 to 150 RPM), the unit will stop taking readings and just hold the last sampled value until the speed goes back above the threshold.

Bill

But working our way back to cwearing's question, you paid for the digital readout, and it should therefor function correctly, whether or not you need it or want it. Call your WMH Tool Group tech rep.

When my lathe was new I found the tach extremely helpful. With experience, the speed setting becomes almost automatic, turning the dial to "about there", or the sound pitch to "about there".

Because I am assuming that your 1642 is a variable speed digital DRO, I must disagree with our engineer's contribution. Assuming you desire to to make adjustments in speed on a lathe with an infinitely variable speed control there is no way to know at what speed your lathe is turning without either an analogue or digital shaft speed indicator. As previously stated, you bought a lathe with a digital speed indicator and you're entitled to receive what you paid for. I'd suggest you forget about trying to repair it yourself and call the manufacturer/supplier for warranty attention.

real help

Thanks to all who provided sage advise. I believe the nature of this board should be to help turners when they seek such. If I wanted discourse such as the first suggestion I would log onto Comedy Central.

Thanks to all who provided sage advise. I believe the nature of this board should be to help turners when they seek such. If I wanted discourse such as the first suggestion I would log onto Comedy Central.

Chill man, we like to have our laughs here, too. Don't be so easily offended. We knew you had a legitimate question, and you got a legitimate answer or 2 or 3.:D

From the Jet 1642 Manual:
Digital readout does not work
1. Digital readout sensor out of
position
1. Open the belt access and
position the sensor so that it
reads the bolts

You might wish to check the sensor position as mentioned above. Also try unplugging the lathe - this may reset the electronics.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

You know we often get emails from people raving about someone attacking them. The idea really is to not read anything (tone or vocal level) into an email. Since you weren't there, you really have no idea if someone is yelling or laughing. I assume they are all laughing, typing in thier underwear. And if this were Comedy Central, Sarah Silverman would be giving you advice on woodturning, not a good thing.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You know we often get emails from people raving about someone attacking them. The idea really is to not read anything (tone or vocal level) into an email. Since you weren't there, you really have no idea if someone is yelling or laughing. I assume they are all laughing, typing in thier underwear. And if this were Comedy Central, Sarah Silverman would be giving you advice on woodturning, not a good thing.

Oops! I better go put on some underwear. :eek:

Back