• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1442VS modification?

Anyone know if it is possible to put a VFD on a Jet 1442VS so you can get finite speed adjustments? It appears to have a standard induction motor so I am thinking it may be possible. I would be looking at a single phase 115V VFD as I do not have 220V in my shop at the moment.

Yes, it's possible, but you're starting from a Reeves drive, so you'd have to replace the pulleys and include a way to loosen/tighten/change the belt.

Brent, I may have an opportunity to purchase this as a used lathe. I currently have a Laguna 12/16 (with the bed extension) and am looking for a larger swing lathe. I might just need to keep saving so I can come and pickup a Scout or Sweet 16. šŸ˜

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
you would have to change the motor abd buy a drive. Either DC with variable speed or AC 3 phase motor with VFD. You can't make your motor variable speed. The first 2 options are going to be expensive. One alternative is to cannibalize a cheap used treadmill and use that motor and controller.

Agree with Brent. Sell it and invest in a Roust. My American Beauty is over 7 years old and I could sell it for what I paid for it, but there is no way Iā€™m going to sell it. It runs as good as the day I put it in my shop and has turned well over 500 bowls plus many other turnings. Iā€™ve bee turning over 50 years and have had 6 differ lathes including a Powermatic 3520.

Why? He doesn't have to. Just use the reeves drive like the lathes that use step pulleys and VFDs.
A. The sheaves are moveable, which introduces some slop and imprecision that an inexpensive, fixed pulley would not have.
B. The sheaves are 'fragile' compared with a fixed pulley.
C. Getting rid of the spring and lever mechanism frees up space inside the headstock. Not sure what you'd do with the extra room, but simpler is usually gooder.

A. The sheaves are moveable, which introduces some slop and imprecision that an inexpensive, fixed pulley would not have.
B. The sheaves are 'fragile' compared with a fixed pulley.
C. Getting rid of the spring and lever mechanism frees up space inside the headstock. Not sure what you'd do with the extra room, but simpler is usually gooder.
But none of those 3 reasons will prevent him from turning wood. I think you're stretching all 3, but room in the headstock? Come on! That's one feature I have never seen anyone ask for in a wood lathe.

Last edited:
Anyone know if it is possible to put a VFD on a Jet 1442VS so you can get finite speed adjustments? It appears to have a standard induction motor so I am thinking it may be possible. I would be looking at a single phase 115V VFD as I do not have 220V in my shop at the moment.
Last time I looked the 120V input VFD's were limited to 1 hp, three phase output. The one I have doesn't work with a couple of the larger frame 1 hp three phase motors I have.

Did you look at the one I linked to?
Sorry, I did miss that link. Do you have one of those VFD's?

You can't get blood out of a turnip. The 120V unit I have is rated for only 1 hp on a 20A circuit. and it doesn't even do that on older large frame motors with heavy armatures.

I'm a bit suspicious of that unit being sold on Amazon. No support through Amazon (I bought a piece of electronic test equipment through Amazon. When I complained about the lack of an English language manual they gave me a link to support in China where no one understood English). The online outfits that specialize in VFD's provide some support. Their description interchanges 110V and 120V (?). What size breaker, 30A?

The 2.2 kw number does seem to pencil out, but what about starting current and running under load?

I guess I'll be skeptical until proven wrong.

Back