• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jarrod Dahl

Website
www.woodspirithandcraft.com
Hello, my name is Jarrod Dahl. I'm a full time craftsperson, instructor and run a small school with my wife, Jazmin. I started woodturning on a pole lathe in 2009 after getting into greenwood working like spoon carving, etc...The pole lathe was my primary lathe for 10 years and I was doing production work. I'm also working on a book about pole lathe turning that will be published with Lost Art Press, hopefully within a year—I've been working on it for 6. The book is written now I'm reshooting how to photos.

After developing an injury from pole lathe turning (standing on one leg) I went to Japan and studied turning there. I went on to build two different types of Japanese lathes—one I currently use. I also have a "western lathe" a Harvey T-40. Because I use the three different lathes I need to differentiate between them. The design of the machines as well as cutting techniques and tools are all different. I use hooks both from O-1 and HSS and gouges too. I forge and heat treat the hooks myself. I learned to forge hooks years ago when I first started—pole lathe turning requires hooks (side grain). But also learned to make them from HSS in Japan. And yes you can do it in a small shop!

I make a lot of tableware for use with food and drink. These days mostly end grain cups but I make a lot of bowls too. I am inspired by both old Scandinavian ale bowls and Japanese forms too. I finish my work with milk paint and either Urushi lacquer (learned in Japan) or Hassui Ceramic which I am the distributor of here in the US.

I'm excited about being part of this forum because I have a lot to learn (endless) and I also think I have some things to share too. Thanks

Made from one solid piece of wood
on a pole lathe.
IMG_2581-2.jpg

urushi lacqured bowl (wiped)
IMG_7094.jpg

Urushi lacquered bowl (brushed)
IMG_7073.jpg

Last edited:
Back