• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

It's Finally Here!!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Well after a month away from turning, and 3 weeks of waiting for delivery, my new lathe is finally here and I can get back to turning. Thanks to all of you who provide help in my choice. In the end, I decided to buy a Jet 1642 EVS (1.5hp) and it arrived Friday. Unfortunately, my Vicmarc chuck is on back order for another week or so. I have had a chance to do some faceplate turning and I have to say i am greatly impressed with the lathes performance. I was turning on a 1442VS before and the 1642EVS seem to be much smoother. I cannot wait until my chuck gets here. My new shop is still a little bare right now but I have managed to get the basic stuff setup. Lathe, Miter Saw, Table Saw, and Disc Sander.

My wife and I just found out we are having another baby so the shop plans are on the back burner for now.

Attachments

• Jet1642.jpg
    Jet1642.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 438
  • ShopLayout.jpg
    ShopLayout.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
with all that space what are you doing against that wall!? it should be in the middle of the shop so you can show it off!. Congratulations on the lathe and the baby!

You're really going to enjoy it. I've had the 2 hp one for about 2 years now and it's been a joy. Just wish I had the space you do, mine is filled up and everthing has to be on wheels.

Paul

I've had the same lathe (but 2hp model) a little more than 2 years now, and love it. It has done everything I have asked it to do. Someday I may want more of a lathe but I really can't imagine anything I want to do that this one won't do. Really do love it, very smooth and easy to use.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
cypher said:
...I decided to buy a Jet 1642 EVS (1.5hp) and it arrived Friday.
I've had the same machine for almost a year now and love it.

Looking at the photo of yours, is that the live center that came with the lathe? Mine isn't nearly as nice. One other thing, if I were you I'd get a heavier extension cord to power the thing. That looks like a standard 16ga utility extension cord. You'll be better off with 14ga.

And congrats on the baby! Daddy could make him/her a nice wooden crib :)

Website
www.beyondbark.com
pencheff said:
Looking at the photo of yours, is that the live center that came with the lathe? Mine isn't nearly as nice. One other thing, if I were you I'd get a heavier extension cord to power the thing. That looks like a standard 16ga utility extension cord. You'll be better off with 14ga.

And congrats on the baby! Daddy could make him/her a nice wooden crib :)

The live center is the Oneway version. I had it from my previous shop and I gave the Jet one to the other shop and kept the nicer Oneway for myself. Mainly because the Oneway system allows for changeable cones and an adapter to mount my chuck as well.

The extension cord is not used for the lathe anymore. It was only being used because I was to lazy to run my new duplex. I ran the new duplex this week and the lathe is now plugged into that instead.

To all - It does look like I have lots of room but remember I still have to get a car in there too. The black cord across the front is about the limit of my shop space.

Now here comes the dumb question:
What are the controls on the inverter for? Should I be setting these controls? This is the first EVS lathe I have owned and the manual does not say anything about settings or anything. It came with a factory-wiring diagram but that is it. The lathe work fine and the inverter say only service by approved tech. Therefore, I do think I am supposed to mess with it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
cypher said:
What are the controls on the inverter for? Should I be setting these controls? This is the first EVS lathe I have owned and the manual does not say anything about settings or anything. It came with a factory-wiring diagram but that is it. The lathe work fine and the inverter say only service by approved tech. Therefore, I do think I am supposed to mess with it. Any thoughts?

My PM 3520 says not the mess with it and as your Jet is made by the same company I'd believe the same would apply to you

don't fix what ain't broke.

I've had my Powermatic for a couple of years and seen no indications that anything needs to be done to the electronics. It's a great tool and certainly would support a more proficient turner than I. I believe it's natural to want to tinker with things, but that way madness lay (and expenses).

Chet Bisno

cypher said:
. . . but remember I still have to get a car in there too.

The car ain't made of sugar; it won't melt outside. Shop space PRODUCES things and therefore is more important. Leave the damn car out of the shop!!!

:D

mm

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
Don't Drink the Water!

"...after a month away from turning...we are having another baby..." :eek:

Bet its not long before she is insisting that he spend more time in the shop and suggesting that he "...leave the car out on the driveway again tonight". :)

Leave the controls on the VFD alone. There may be a rare occasion when you have to press the reset button. I have never had to do it on my 1642 but have had to do it on a couple of 3520s.

BTW, you are really going to enjoy the future grandkids -- you can load them up on candy and send them home with their parents (just another way of getting revenge).

New Lathe

Evidently there was a MAJOR foul-up in shipping....that there lathe was to be sent to me!!! Well, ya went and got it dirty, now, so keep it. By the way, you chose well...that is one helluva machine, and is next on my wish list. My shop will look mighty empty for a while...... :eek: :D

Back