• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Mark Hancock for being selected as Turning of the Week for July 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is there a standard finish for live edge vs standard bowl?

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Most NE bowls are not meant to be used as salad bowls or whatever so the range of finishes that one might use is pretty well unlimited. Lacquer, varnish (polyurethane or traditional), shellac, epoxy, penetrating oils, etc are all fair game. Just depends on the effect you're looking for. Without the functional constraints you can just think in terms of film forming or not, shiny or dull, ambering (or colored with dye) or clear, ability to pop figure, repairability, water or solvent based, etc etc. It all works!

Agree with others that many different finishes can be used. Urethane does provide a much stronger bond to the bark, but use ca glue for somewhat loose bark.

A little CA to keep the bark on. Then a few coats of T&T DO. Once that’s cured, I’ll buff with brown tripoli and finish with an empty flannel wheel

For me, bark edges or rims are decorative, and I would not consider using them on any utility ware. CA, yes its darn handy and at times a life saver. Where I live most species have loose back when dried so CA is a must and for that reason I dont turn too many with the bark edging

Back