• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

India and Pakistan finish

Does anyone know where the lak sticks that are different colors that india woodturners apply to there turned work and then smooth out and get a high gloss finish can be purchased. I believe they call the lak sticks battis and the palm stick is called rangatha and then they use ground nut oil to complete the piece. I have looked every where for those color sticks and cant seem to find any. Any help to locate or get me on right path will be much appreciated listed.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Lac sticks? I'd wonder if it is not simply Shellac, in which case, might be as simple as getting yourself some shellac flakes , mix em in alcohol just enough to dampen them and mold them into your sticks, problem solved? Shellac can come in various colors naturally, as well as I believe you can mix in colored dyes to give them a particular tint...

Shellac.net sells button lac, get yourself some bulk turmeric on Amazon and you are good to go. Doubt what you see them making in the video, for their own use, is available for purchase.

Lots of different colored spices for different colors, (flavorsšŸ˜‚).

Last edited:
Back