• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

In Florida I ain't...

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Greetings all

I just got home a little while ago. I should have been getting home a week from Monday, but as some of you might know, we had a weather event here in the northeast.

I got to the airport way early so as to take care of any potential problems with the TSA. As recently as the day before I had been advised by the airline personnel that I might not be allowed to take my turning tools with me in any way, so I thought it might be prudent to arrive in time to discuss the matter. Anyway, I spent my time from 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM either standing in line or waiting on my plane. The plane was supposed to leave at 9:32 AM, but it was running late. What a surprise. At 10:00 we were allowed to board, and immediately taxied out in preparation for takeoff. The weather got worse.

After sitting on the runway for 2 1/2 hours, we taxied back to the terminal to get back off the plane. The pilot informed us that all flights had been cancelled. There were some very angry people on board, including the guy sitting next to me, who commenced to abuse his laptop and say bad words. What was really frustrating was that if the plane had been on schedule, we would have made it out ahead of the weather. Of course, I might have been scattered all over the countryside too. One never knows...

I stood in another line from about 12:30 PM until 3:30 PM to discuss alternate arrangements with the airline people. Many cell phone calls were made between myself and the representatives of the two clubs I was planning on seeing in FL. To make a long story a little shorter, we were able to reschedule my missed demo and class for two weeks from now, and keep next week the same - assuming of course, no more snow falls.

I caught the last train out of the airport, arriving at the platform five minutes before it did. It looked like it was full of refugees. The regular city commuters were none too happy to see "their" train already filled when they attempted to board. Fortunately for me, my in-laws lived at the end of the line, and I was able to arrange transportation to their home. So unlike many others, I did not sleep at the airport or in some flophouse for $200/night. SWMBO was snowed in and could not reach me until this afternoon. But I am home now, and trying to look at it all from a philosophical point of view. This stuff never happens when I drive.

Bill

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
What were your security experiences flying with lathe tools?

Bill Grumbine said:
Greetings all

I got to the airport way early so as to take care of any potential problems with the TSA. As recently as the day before I had been advised by the airline personnel that I might not be allowed to take my turning tools with me in any way, so I thought it might be prudent to arrive in time to discuss the matter. Anyway, I spent my time from 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM either standing in line or waiting on my plane.

Bill:

Sorry to hear of your travel problems - I've had my share too, and have spent more than enough nights in Chicago O"Hare Airport waiting "for the first flight out in the morning". I'm happy you didn't have to 'overnight' somewhere after the day-long cancellation fiasco.

To perhaps find something beneficial out of your experience yesterday, could you please let us know what issues the Airport/TSA/Airlines had with taking turning tools with you on your flight (I assumed you treated them as checked luggage), and what recommendations you would have in traveling with lathe tools given your recent experience? Did TSA have particular "issues" or recommendations when traveling with items such as turning tools?

Some people will be flying home from Portland or Utah this summer, likely with recently acquired turning tools at these Symposiums, and may run into this situation. In September 2006 I flew back to the USA from Switzerland with about 12 or so Pfeil carving tools in my checked bag, and as long as I declared that they were in the bag and they sealed the bag with a security sticker after it was X-rayed, I had no problems. Of course this was in Zuerich as my first security checkpoint for the baggage. I had no problems in the USA at O'Hare clearing customs or in Des Moines at my "final destination" on this return trip.

Maybe you could tell us what we should keep in mind in the future if we attempt to use airlines to get to and from turning destinations....

Thanks for whatever comments you can shed on the topic.

Cheers,

Rob Wallace
(One of the "beer guys" you met in Louisville last summer!)

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi Rob

I did not have any trouble with the TSA at all. I did get conflicting stories from the TSA and the airline people, but I have come to the conclusion that the airline people do not quite know their jobs - at least the ones answering the phones. I was told at one point that I could not bring my tools on the plane regardless of whether they were checked or not. When I told the lady that I could check a firearm if I wanted, she responded that that was different, because firearms needed bullets to work. I responded that these were woodworking tools, and I was not bringing any wood along, so they would not work either. She started giggling, but went on to tell me to contact the TSA people, who told me not to worry.

When I actually arrived, the airline people at the check in desk were unperturbed with the tools, and just told me to hang out with my bags while they went through the X-ray machine. The TSA people had no problems and I was whisked through the line (relatively speaking).

By the way, we are planning on drinking beer after hours at the NC symposium coming up in October. Perhaps I will see you there!

Oh yeah, your last question. I bought a tool box at Home Depot, but I had a significant number of tools to transport. Buy a TSA approved lock. YOu can use any lock, and a lock is a good idea, but if you don't use a TSA approved one (i.e. one which they can unlock and then relock for you) they have the right to cut your lock off your bag, and then it will not be locked at all. I do not make any comments as to the right or wrong of this policy, only that it exists. If they feel the need to get into your bag and you aren't there, they will get into it. If they can lock it back up, you are better off. The combo locks I bought will alert me if they have been opened by the TSA.

If you are planning on just transporting a tool or two that you bought at a symposium, make sure it is well wrapped, and stick it in with your undies and socks, and you will be fine. Still, lock the bag though. It keeps at least some miscreants out of it.

Bill

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Thanks Bill - At least there's hope!

Thanks for your informative reply - I'm sure others will benefit from knowing what to do and how to do it when traveling by air. I guess I've now got to go out and find a TSA acceptable lock. I'd rather buy another gouge or set of chuck jaws, but I assume travel security could be improved with one of these locks.

Wish I could attend the NC Turning Symposium in October, but that's a tough time to get away for a professor. I'll be teaching two courses this coming fall, and it's hard to have a schedule set up to be able to get away at that time of year.... I WILL be at the AAW Symposium in Portland if you'll be demoing lathes again this year. Hopefully we can meet to have a beer again at that time.....(?)

BTW - Your advice from back in Louisville on buying a new Stihl chainsaw was taken up this past week..... when my ancient McCulloch finally gave up the ghost in the middle of a 24" hackberry log, I went right out and got a new Stihl MS260 Pro. Fantastic little machine!!

Best regards,

Rob

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Rob, the lock should not break your budget. They are sold online, but I got mine at the local AAA store, or rather SWMBO picked a couple up for me. The larger ones were less than $15.00 each.

The chance of my being in Portland is exceedingly small.The expense for me to travel that far, coupled with my experiences at the symposium in Louisville pretty much guarantee I am going to stick with the smaller regional symposia for a while. I had a great time turning for Vega, but I could have done that without forking out for the symposium itself, and since I could not make it into any of the rotations, it was wasted money for me. Of course, I write all this with Richmond looming up in '08, and that is a possibility, since it is fairly close to me, but that is a long way off. Who knows what might happen between now and then? But regardless of where we might meet next, I am always up for a beer. :D

I'm glad the Stihl is running well for you. I love my old 026, which is the same model with the numbers moved around.

Bill

Last edited:
Back