• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I'm a newbie

Hi all,Just started wood turning, I LOVE IT!, a lot to learn, I was a certified all round machinist for 40 yrs( metal) but wood turning requires quite the learning curve. I've gone through 5 lathes in a few months before finally buying the new Harbor frieght one ( 1hp-14 x 20 ) along with the stand. I love it, variable speed,reverse,adjustable height!!! Now I'm trying to prepare some wood blanks ( no band saw here!). I've coated some with "Titebond" original, not sure how long to wait, cracking has been an issue, maybe I'll try twice turning but boy could I use some advice, any suggestions????

Welcome to AAW, Joe.

The best suggestion I can give you when you are starting out is to consume everything on www.turnawoodbowl.com. Kent Weakley is an incredible teacher.

I have that lathe with the Wen branding. I moved up to a bigger lathe so I don't use it right now, but it is a good starter lathe. When processing blanks, you only need (or want) to seal the end grain. Moisture escapes much more rapidly through the end grain. By sealing the end grain, you equalize the drying throughout the blank. I use Anchorseal, but any wood glue or latex paint will work.

As far as how long to wait, there are several answers. One is don't wait at all. Turn it green. If you are air drying your blanks, depending on size, it could take 6 months to 2 years for them to dry down to 10% or so.

so you'd recommend "twice " turning?? I'm not sure of the procedure for turning "green". I did some and they warped!!! Should I turn green then coat with the glue? Please give me a process as I'm a little confused. Also, thank you for the welcome and especially any advice that speeds up my knowledge and ability!!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
The thing is to get the wood thin enough that it will eventually dry. The longer it sits in a log or chunk, the more it will crack because it dries on the ends but not in the middle - so it shrinks differently and stresses the wood. The sealer (of whatever type) on the end grain will help slow down the drying, but won't stop it.
There are basically 2 common choices for bowls. Both start with green/wet wood, usually turned as soon as practical.

You can turn green to finish. Start with a wet blank and make a bowl. The thin walls will dry fairly quickly. The bowl will warp and move as it dries, so the end result won't be round - will be either oval or wavy or something. Usually you need to get a completed bowl in one session - even a lunch break will let the wood move and make it challenging to complete the process. And sanding usually needs to be done when the wood dries after a few days, so may have to be done by had as sanding an oval on the lathe is difficult at best.

Other option is twice turning. Turn a thick bowl from a green/wet blank. The norm is make the wall thickness 10% of the bowl diameter (so a 5" bowl would have 1/2" wall thickness). For most woods, this 10% will let the wood dry throughout, and there's enough material that once it's dry and oval, you can turn it a second time and there's still something round within that oval. Storing the thick bowls for drying is highly dependent on your environment (humidity, air movement, etc). Recommendations range from "just stack them" to paper bags to plastic to anchorseal ... Find another turner in your area (join a club!) and start with what they do. Anyway, it may take between 9 and 18 months for it to dry. Frustrating when you're starting out to have to wait that long, I know.

Some like the randomness or oval of a green-turned bowl, some need their bowls to be round.

Back