• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ideas for beginner projects

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Mallets? Spin tops? Birdhouse ornaments? first ones that come to mind , but then many of us have been busy the last couple months pre-xmas turning lots of those sort of things.. (Check out the monthly turning challenge threads, maybe?)

If you are looking for tool practice, can't so much better than cutting some 2x4's into 1-1/2" square stock and turn a bunch of bead & cove sticks (and a step further, make a story board and see if you can consistently make a set of 4 or 6 that look identical) - Simple spindles like that are excellent for skills development, even for long time turners. I will tend to do a bunch of green rough-outs when I start doing bowls, before I start on finishing my seasoned twice-turn bowls. And when I transition back to doing spindle work (different tool sets) , I'll tend to turn some practice projects from my "firewood" pile (A.K.A. Scraps I haven't burned yet)

Best projects to start with are the ones that you have tools for. Many projects will require additional jigs & tools.
Basic spindle work will require basic turning tools, this will help master the different tools needed for more advanced projects.
As mentioned above mallets, spinning tops, tool handles, pens, magic wands, bottle stoppers etc. etc.
Practice with pine which is easy to turn and readily available.

I still cut up 2x construction lumber and practice beads and coves. + Spin tops, file and other tool handles. I also rough out a bowl or 2 when I haven’t turned in a while.

Using any plain, fairly straight grain wood you can get to practice making whatever - meaning its ok if you screw it up. Practice, practice, practice. Hopefully you have a chain saw and can get trees/logs vs buying blanks. Small spindle projects need dried wood, but a bit larger (3-4” and up can be roughed out of wet wood, which is much more fun to cut.

Honey dippers, plus all of the above. If you or friends imbibe, a muddler. Or a spurtle, or any of Nick Cook's other simple spindle projects. Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham have a series of DVDs with project ideas, as well. The well known Richard Raffan has a book of projects, as do several other turners.

Any kind of spindle project is good practice as you get going. Even a bead and cove stick, just for practice and to learn how to ROLL beads and SCOOP coves. (The late David Nittman was fond of saying, "There are only 3 cuts in woodturning, a bead, a cove and a flat")

When you're comfortable with the tools and the ABC's, (Anchor, Bevel, then Cut) then you can move on to face grain projects, like bowls and plates, with that nicely sharpened bowl gouge. Face grain projects have the grain oriented differently than spindle projects, and require you to approach the wood differently, and keep that grain orientation in mind. IMHO, end grain hollowing and natural edge bowls are best left til last.

Any of the turning supply stores will have all sorts of kits. Handles for ice cream scoops, seam rippers, BBQ hooks, and pens, just to name a few. Me, I turned maybe 2 spindles and went straight to bowls. I do have a bunch of videos up on You Tube about bowl making....

robo hippy

In addition to what others have mentioned above, I did basic shapes of eggs and mushrooms. And simple small platters to work on different holding techniques. (My first platter used a faceplate block with glue and newspaper)

In addition to what others have mentioned above, I did basic shapes of eggs and mushrooms. And simple small platters to work on different holding techniques. (My first platter used a faceplate block with glue and newspaper)
Oh and rolling pins, especially the french pastry are easy to start with

Everything listed above and I've made a lot of salt/pepper shaker sets, peppermills, and the 7 function ratcheting screwdrivers. I give them away as gifts and everyone likes them.

Christmas trees and Christmas ornaments are something to work on now and make a few for next year to give away. Good practice for the skew.

Candlestick holders are really good starter projects for spindle turning and make really great gifts. Once you've got a few under your belt you can knock one out in 30 minutes from some wood you find in the back yard. This is a nice way to end up with dozens of candlestick holders all throughout your house haha.

I also did a bunch of bottle stoppers when I was getting started. Smaller scale things like this are just a great way to learn and you can get most of your catches out of the way on slightly less risky pieces.

Also, I kind of like to look for things in my house than might need a simple repair (for me it was my paper towel holder in the kitchen) and turned a new post for that. Rewarding things that aren't necessarily beautiful.

Oh, also those kits you can get. Pizza slicer, server, bottle opener, things like this. Satisfying just making a handle and attaching nice hardware to it.

One more thing! Egg cups!

Good luck and have fun!

Back