• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ID Older Lathe

Greetings, This lathe is in the basement of an old building which houses our church's archives. It works well but I can't seem to ID the maker. It has a Major branded motor rated at 1.2 HP, 1720 rpm. The finish is an attractive blue with gold pin stripes. It seems the swing is about 15" .. and the bed about 50" in length.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpg
    IMG_8390.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8394.jpg
    IMG_8394.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8393.jpg
    IMG_8393.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 103
Agree with Mark. Looks like a beautifully restored Craftsman tubular wood Lathe. Try googling ‘Sears model 113 vintage wood lathe’. Although old tubular lathes would not be my choice for wood turning because they are known for having vibration issues.

Yes it does look a lot like a 113. Upon further reading I’m guessing it is 1/2 hp even though the plate is stamped 1.2.
I also see that the lowest rpm is almost 900. Seems pretty fast.
It’s amazing it was restored to such a high degree. It’s sat in that basement for 25 years or so neglected, but in restored condition. Someone must have really liked it.

I did some turning on it yesterday and it works fine but it appears that the motor would speed up after about 5 minutes of turning. What could cause that?

Thanks for the replies.

It dates from a time when turning was largely spindle work, but a 900 rpm lathe could be turned into a useful buffing machine or disk sander.

That scale is an interesting feature, but I find the 'hump' in the middle of the rest gets in the way of a smooth slide of the tool/hand.
I have a mini-lathe at home, so I think I can use this lathe at the church to rough out larger blanks and get them ready to use at home.
Thanks for all the help .. Tom

Greetings, This lathe is in the basement of an old building which houses our church's archives. It works well but I can't seem to ID the maker. It has a Major branded motor rated at 1.2 HP, 1720 rpm. The finish is an attractive blue with gold pin stripes. It seems the swing is about 15" .. and the bed about 50" in length.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
I remember reading somewhere that filling those tubes with concrete will help dampen vibration. Since it's not your lathe, that may not be a option.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That scale is an interesting feature, but I find the 'hump' in the middle of the rest gets in the way of a smooth slide of the tool/hand.

I believe that the tool rest needs to be rotated 180°. That might mean you won't be able to drop the tool handle as much as you normally would, but for spindle turning the tool handle wouldn't be dropped as much as it would for bowl turning.

Back