• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I was jonesing to try a Neg Rake scraper

"Got some steel bar stock. Found a half inch hunk of HSS tool bit. Welded 'em together"
Good idea and great looking tool. Where did you find the HSS? My son has contacts in their machine shop so it would be no problem to get one made.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've got some smaller pieces of HSS planer blades. They aren't very thick but if I mill a slot and put them in there like Stewart Batty did it would probably work.

Where did you find the HSS?
In another life long ago and far away I was a machinist toolmaker. I worked so many shops. So I still have stuff. It's also how I put myself through college. Odds are you son can get a piece of HSS that'll do the job nicely and even find a guy with a TIG to put 'em together.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I believe Stewart's is held in place with set screws. I haven't seen it in years so my memory may be foggy.

My son has friends in the machine shop at work. I don't think he welds but could find a guy who would do it for him.

It looks like the coupling is bound to allow flexing.
Hasn't flexed yet.

The coupling is inch and a quarter diameter. The flat bar is 3/8"x1". Plus the scraper is not a hogging tool. The way I use it I get a small edge and take light passes.

The handle part is from my hollowing rig. It's just doing double duty.

above center

thanks for that. It's an easy thing to forget.
I have this rest I made that is a flat bar 2" wide that I can shove inside the bowl right up close to the work. With the Neg Rake tool it's really sweet because there's no need to up angle the handle. I just leave it flat on the rest.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
And the back of the handle should be raised a bit so that the tool is trailing down slightly. The reason is that the wood should be moving away from the scraper rather than pushing into it. If it is a negative rake scraper, you can have the tool level and slightly above center.

Back