• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I took a workshop with Derek Weidman

I took a multi-axis turning workshop with Derek Weidman. It gave me a whole new way to think about the lathe as a tool. Very excited to share my first project (with a lot of help from Derek!). This is Henry the goat. My son has a goat farm. If you get the opportunity to take a class, demo or workshop with Derek, go for it. He is a super teacher, has a great sense of humor and his techniques will boggle your mind.20240809_175146.jpg

Taking classes with Derek is a mindbending experience. I've taken two classes with him at Arrowmont. He turns in a different universe. Although I have yet to do an animal head outside his classes, his approach to multiaxis turning has been fundamental to much of what I do. I tend toward the more geometric, but his instruction on setting up cuts has been invaluable.

Taking classes with Derek is a mindbending experience. I've taken two classes with him at Arrowmont. He turns in a different universe. Although I have yet to do an animal head outside his classes, his approach to multiaxis turning has been fundamental to much of what I do. I tend toward the more geometric, but his instruction on setting up cuts has been invaluable.
Mindbending only begins to describe it. After taking his class I see a lot of trial and error and firewood creation in my future. I think the only way to be able to learn how to turn like this is to develop a willingness to make mistakes and let them go to the firewood pile. Derek has been doing this for a long time. The planning of cuts requires an ability to see the results of a few moves ahead, like chess. I think that will only come with practice. Fortunately my son can use the firewood!

Back