• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I Purchased a Bowl From Odie......

Website
www.ovwg.org
I have decided to start purchasing or swapping some turned items from some of you guys on the Forum. So I decided to start with one of my favorite artists @odie. I hope he is ok with me posting this.

I purchased and paid (just so you know) this extremely well turned Big Leaf Maple Burl Bowl. I have heard a lot about his work but never expected it to be this good! This buffing is insanely smooth, there is NO, I mean NO, tear out anywhere on the piece, and the details of the lines and curves is way better than I was expecting. And to top it off the wood is exceptionally beautiful.

Thank you Odie, this is a fabulous addition to my collection!!

Odie I.JPGOdie II.JPGOdie III.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thank you so much, Gabriel.....:)

I am greatly honored to have one of my bowls added to your own personal collection, sir!

Have a good day.....and, "Keep on turnin' ", my lathey friends!

-o-
3  (1) - Copy.jpg

Odie is in a world of his own when it comes to the pieces he makes. Pictures just don't do them justice, you have to see one in person. He did one out of black and white ebony a while back and he did comment about cracking problems with this particular wood, and I just had to have it. I do not have many collected pieces, but his is a prize!

I do hope some day he documents how he makes his pieces.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie is in a world of his own when it comes to the pieces he makes. Pictures just don't do them justice, you have to see one in person. He did one out of black and white ebony a while back and he did comment about cracking problems with this particular wood, and I just had to have it. I do not have many collected pieces, but his is a prize!

I do hope some day he documents how he makes his pieces.

robo hippy

Thank you very much for your great comments, Robo.

Yes....you are one of those on these AAW forums who have examples of my bowls.....and, coming from the old school master turner that you are, these comments are especially appreciated.

For years, I have been speaking of some of the most important concepts that enable me to produce my bowls. It would be impossible to make videos, tutorials, etc., of things like "spiritual turning", or "seeing the curve", or turning like powered sanding doesn't exist, or seeking the most vibration free lathe RPM are paramount.....but, these things are among the mental and physically related aspects I concentrate on to get that very illusive perfect cut. It's not something you can teach, but I'm sure that my ramblings on these things have influenced a few other turners over the past couple decades of attempting to explain them.

For many other very good turners, I wonder how I'm taken....when I explain that after years of trying to "go with the flow of the herd" in woodturning through experimenting with or analyzing things like exotic steels, CBN, Ellsworth style grinds, and so on......I have gone back to my roots, and nearly completely abandoned them.....As a result, I have embraced "old school" basic lathe tools, frangible grinding wheels, honing cutting edges by hand, and more things that the turning world was doing 50 or 100 years ago. To my way of thinking, your grandpa had everything he needed to produce the same things I'm making today......the only difference is the "turning mentality" can be advanced considerably. (I can hear it now....."odie is so full of it!")

I do have some specialized tools that I have designed and built myself, but those have nothing to do with the quality of the cut I can achieve. Those tools, I feel are patent-able, and I may offer them to others, someday. In the meantime, the one and only thing I'm interested in, is producing the very best I can, while I'm still living and breathing on this earth. Since making money is distantly secondary to my goals in life, I don't expect that everyone can truly grasp this concept......but, to me.....these goals mean everything.....and are what ultimately drives my personal soul search.

-o-

Last edited:
Odie, you don't actually need to make a how to video, a video of you working a blank would be inspiring enough. Back in the day when the UK only had two TV channels the BBC would show sort films between programmes so that people could have a break and make a "Cuppa", one I remember was the potter's wheel, no commentary just music, but it was fascinating to watch. I am sure that people would just enjoy watching the master craftsman you obviously are.
BTW love the truck.

Regards
Mike

Flight control to Maverick: "It's a landslide. And the pattern is full, you cannot do a flyby."

Seriously, Odie, you have something very special and others would benefit from seeing you work. It would also give you the chance to talk about "spiritual turning" and get that perspective out to a bigger audience. You don't have to try to teach anybody how to do what you do, just let them see it. You don't have to convince them to try your methods or say they're the best. It could be a much more sophisticated version of the video of guys using a tractor engine to turn a 2000 pound chunk of wood into a bowl.

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Flight control to Maverick: "It's a landslide. And the pattern is full, you cannot do a flyby."

Seriously, Odie, you have something very special and others would benefit from seeing you work. It would also give you the chance to talk about "spiritual turning" and get that perspective out to a bigger audience. You don't have to try to teach anybody how to do what you do, just let them see it. You don't have to convince them to try your methods or say they're the best. It could be a much more sophisticated version of the video of guys using a tractor engine to turn a 2000 pound chunk of wood into a bowl.
Some of us are just plain camera-shy. I don't even like getting my picture taken... I'd never agree to have someone (or several someones) set up a camera in my shop (or any shop) to video me turning.. I dunno why, it just gives me the willies.... Dunno how Odie might feel on that point, but I'd understand completely if he was the same.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I’d still like to see a demo of how he gets those fine grooves so consistently. Simply amazing!

If my memory hasn't completely failed me, I believe Odie was a machinist before retiring. And, his pride in doing flawless work has carried over in his approach to woodturning. In order to get the precise detail lines that he does, the piece has to be perfectly round. And, that can't happen if you have to sand the piece to get rid of tool marks. Sharp tools, skillful tool control, and getting your head totally immersed in your work are how I interpret the process.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Some of us are just plain camera-shy. I don't even like getting my picture taken... I'd never agree to have someone (or several someones) set up a camera in my shop (or any shop) to video me turning.. I dunno why, it just gives me the willies.... Dunno how Odie might feel on that point, but I'd understand completely if he was the same.
Me too. I don't think I would want that exposure either. Some of us like to lay low and play the "mystery man" so to speak! We produce great work, marveled by others, but don't want to show everyone how it's done. It keeps us within our own space, our own heads, with no unwanted feedback, especially if we know the way we like to do something. Maybe he would like to show, I don't know, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but for myself, that would be too much.

Me too. I don't think I would want that exposure either. Some of us like to lay low and play the "mystery man" so to speak! We produce great work, marveled by others, but don't want to show everyone how it's done. It keeps us within our own space, our own heads, with no unwanted feedback, especially if we know the way we like to do something. Maybe he would like to show, I don't know, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but for myself, that would be too much.
Your time is coming, Gabriel. Check out the Richard Raffan 'how to be a demonstrator' resource on the AAW web site, get some advice from experienced demonstrators in your excellent local club, start out with an informal demo for your local club on the box making showing your own personal methods with which you are so comfortable , and voila', you're off to the races helping others grow by being a teacher. I bet you're a natural.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Your time is coming, Gabriel. Check out the Richard Raffan 'how to be a demonstrator' resource on the AAW web site, get some advice from experienced demonstrators in your excellent local club, start out with an informal demo for your local club on the box making showing your own personal methods with which you are so comfortable , and voila', you're off to the races helping others grow by being a teacher. I bet you're a natural.
Well.....I just got a email today from the OVWG leadership to demo next month at their kick off event. I'm off to the races I guess...... still thinking about though

Oh yeah.... They say I love to talk to much..:D I probably am a natural...
Everyone is different, but for me teaching woodworking is absolutely one of the most personally rewarding things I have ever done. It's almost addictive. I taught in a college wood program for a long time, and then taught and lead in a Habitat for Humanity Chapter after that, several other situations. There are as many ways to do it as there are people: some people are chatty, some less so. Nothing better than seeing someone you taught something take it farther, or in a different direction. I bet there are mentors in your story watching your development with a sense of pride. Give it a shot: worst that can happen is you find you don't like it.

Well.....I just got a email today from the OVWG leadership to demo next month at their kick off event. I'm off to the races I guess...... still thinking about though
I didn't say a word. Honest. It's just so obvious.

And Alan, remember "See one, do one, teach one" from training? I'm sure you recall that "teaching one" is where you REALLY learn.

Back