• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I Need some advice

A friend wants to build this lathe HOME MADE BOWL LATHE
He's looking for a headstock that has he can attach a motor to similar to the one in my link He's also looking for something about 1 1/4" threaded with a #3 MT he wants to make 36" + turnings. He's checked E Bay & Craigs list so far no good?

Thanks

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I would say to search ebay. I have seen headstocks and junk lathes for sale there frequently. The problem is that you will not find a 1.25" spindle on a headstock the size of the old Rockwell/Delta lathes. You may be better off finding (ie, buying) a headstock complete with spindle that is the size that you want. For the larger spindle, a double row bearing is highly recommended.

36" turnings, you say? He will need to slow the lathe WAY down.

Bill

Last edited:
Ot

Bill, Been trying to send you an email and it keeps coming back. Was it something I said?

Back on topic, have always wanted to build a big lathe, but probably will never get a round tuit. Thought I'd start w/ 2" cold rolled, a couple of pillow block bearings, and some structural steel. Best of luck to your friend, "recon".

Thanks for the info guy's He shouldn't have any problems making it He used to build Hot Rods & he's a industrial heavy equipment mechanic. I just want to help him find the parts. He's a very good friend even though I never met him :D
Were on another forum together.

Chuck

P.S.
Let me know if you think of anything on where to get these parts.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Texian said:
Bill, Been trying to send you an email and it keeps coming back. Was it something I said?
I think that Microsoft Outlook has a mind of its own sometimes. I will send you a PM with a new email address (my old one is going away, but should continue to work for several months longer).

Bill

Back