• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I need a good, affordable, respirator f/u/w a beard.

I've looked at everything I can find in the catalogs and at woodworking shows and could use some first hand advice. I have a full beard so I need a full face respirator. The ones I like are out of my reach ($$) and the ones that are in my reach don't look all that effective. I purchased a Trend Airshield but was not impressed with the quality of construction for the price, so I sent it back.

I've been using a ceiling mounted dust filter and backing that up with a four inch dust collector port during sanding operations and I know that's not good enough, I need something for my face.

Any suggestions, first hand info, etc. would be appreciated.

Cheers

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Trend and Triton are about all there is that is affordable.
For quality, the 3M Airstream . (which really isn't affordable)

PS Trend has a new model, I don't know that anyone has seen it yet though.

I have a full beard and a little to much hair by most peoples standards, I have the Triton Powered Respirator. It works well and after you get used to it you really don't notice it's weight. I got mine thorough Amazon on sale at around $140 and consider it money well spent.

powered filter

I used to work for a company where money was no object and when they laid me off I was told to take my personal protective equipment with me. I had two Racal powered filters that great. The company paid over $900 per unit. There is a company in Minnesota that sells reconditioned ones but I don't remember its name. I believe it is in Elbow Lake. I also have a beard and a size 8 hat, so the Trend doesn't fit me. The Triton looks to be the better deal. I couldn't get the link above to work, but I think it is the same one for the company I was thinking of.
Dale

I agree that the trend airshield doesn't look and feel like it is worth the money they are charging for it, but it works great and mine has survived two years of very hard use. I can't imagine turning without it at this point.

Ed

airshield

i use the trend airshield, while it is plastic, it works well, i do not have a beard but i have had cataract surgery on both eyes, and the trend keeps all the dust i was getting in my eyes out, i would like to have an extra charger if anybody has one they are not using:D

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
face shields

This from a slick-faced turner. Looks to me like the heavy beard would be a good dust filter in itself. Have you tried to see how much dust gets by the beard? Other than a sack over your head, looks to me like it would work. My opinion and I am stickin' to it. Max

KEW

I know it is not what you are really asking about, but in addition to my Triton, I have a Resp-o-rator. I find it very handy when I want to do a quick job (like sanding between coats) to use this instead of pulling out/strapping on the Triton.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834

BTW, I never tried the nose clips. Instead I learned to breathe only through the mouth.
I also use this when mowing the yard. I figure my Triton would be like a greenhouse in the hot GA summer sun...and it'd just look too wierd mowing the yard like some hazmat clean-up dude :)

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
This from a slick-faced turner. Looks to me like the heavy beard would be a good dust filter in itself. Have you tried to see how much dust gets by the beard? Other than a sack over your head, looks to me like it would work. My opinion and I am stickin' to it. Max

Everything I have seen says that beards and most respirators are a poor combination. Sure, my beard filters out shavings and chips, but the stuff that does the most harm is the stuff that is going to pass through the beard and into my lungs. Snorting a shaving might be painful, but it is not going to get anywhere close to my lungs. :eek:

Eric, I bought a 3M Airstream back when it was the Racal AH-5. I am one of those with a size 8 head like Dale Johnson, so it was pretty much my only choice. It was a huge bite in the budget, but it is now 10 years old and still going strong. I have had to replace a few minor parts, and the batteries, but overall it has proven to be a real workhorse, and I hate to think of what 10 years of breathing dust, spores, and who knows what else would have done to my lungs.

Bill

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Here is a picture. Does not speak to the beard problem.
http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=250

It does not address is explicitly, but it is the nature of the design that does. Many people may know this already, but just in case someone reading this doesn't - wearing a beard with a conventional respirator doesn't work. The rubber seal does not seal against skin, but is padded out by the beard, and so little particles, the most harmful of all, make it past and into the lungs. The Airstream, Trend, Triton, etc, all work with a positive pressure design, so even if the seal is not airtight, air is always flowing out by virtue of the pressure generated by the fan and the partial seal.

Bill

The new Trend has better spec's - But the cost??

Here is a picture. Does not speak to the beard problem.
http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=250

This new unit's description address many of the shortfalls I found with the first model, but the cost - $$ 400.00 $$ - how can they justify a figure of that magnitude? I'll cut the beard off first - I don't care what SWMBO says.

I was actually thinking of trying a military style chem/bio mask, I've seen one which has large eye windows that looks like it might work. Ya think if I hooked it up to the exhaust of the shop vac :D that it might keep out the dust - I might end up looking like this guy :eek: LOL

I also looked at the Resp-O-rator as a very logical approach but how do you store it when it's not in use? If you take it off and set it down some place between operations, do you have to wash it off each time you need it. It just doesn't look all that sanitary to me.:rolleyes:

I just don't know - the dust problem and beards are just a bad combination for a wood turner.:(

10 years on a Airstream !

I bought a 3M Airstream back when it was the Racal AH-5....... It was a huge bite in the budget, but it is now 10 years old and still going strong. I have had to replace a few minor parts, and the batteries, but overall it has proven to be a real workhorse, and I hate to think of what 10 years of breathing dust, spores, and who knows what else would have done to my lungs.

Bill,
If you have ten years of service out of your Airstream - well that sounds like you made a very good choice to me. And it has paid for it's self several times over.

Questions
what is the current model number of your unit?
How long does your battery last?
What's the recharge time?
How do you keep the face shield clean?
How often do you replace it?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi Eric

I went through the whole "shave the beard" thing way back when too. I started out with an Airlite, made by Racal, when then became the Powervisor and then discontinued when 3M bought them out of I recall correctly. The Airlite served me well for a few years, but I then moved up to the one I have now. To answer your questions:

What is the current model number of your unit?

Airstream 200. I do not see that model on the Airware America site anymore. I have the better (Smart) charger to go with it. I have new batteries and a new charger which came to me complimentary from 3M as I also have a Breathe Easy carbon filtered respirator for spraying finishes. The 400 currently listed is supposed to have more airflow, but I have never had a problem with the volume on mine.

How long does your battery last?

Longer than I have had to use them in a single session so far, so I am pretty sure I have the 8 hr batteries. If you mean expected life before I have to replace them, the older batteries lasted me somewhere around six years, although that is going to vary with use.

What's the recharge time?

Not sure, but fast, less time than it takes to wear out the second battery. If you put your battery on the charger at night, it would be ready to go before you were out of bed the next morning.

How do you keep the face shield clean?

Windex. I tried those paste on clear shields, but all they did for me was increase the glare.

How often do you replace it?

Probably not as often as I should. I need a new one now, but they run about $15.00 and will last for a number of years, again depending on how often and how badly you get hit in the face. The scratches are a nice reminder of the things that didn't happen to me! But I am on my second face shield, and it could use a third.

I hope this helps you out some, and if you have more questions, feel free to ask. I am leaving for a demo in NY in a little bit, so I will not be back to the computer until Monday night sometime.

Bill

The Resp-o-rator is dishwashable... You can take it apart and clean it easily.

My problem is that I drool a lot when using it. :(

I like my Triton, but it doesn't blow strong enough in cold weather, and the battery wears out too quick.

I need to buy some new filters, so changing those might help. I'd love to hotrod the fan a little and get a bit more CFM out of it. If anyone knows any tricks to doing that let me know.

Triton

Unlike Underdog, I find that the Triton runs fast enough in winter time, but during the summer I overheat. This may be fairly peculiar to some of us on the wrong side of 50, who overheat quickly. I have been thinking about using a small squirrel cage fan to feed the helmet on, from outside air. However, I am not thrilled with creating a positive pressure in the main dust generating area of my shop. Has anyone done anything like this, and if so what comments do you have?

TIA,
Michael

powered filter

Try this link

TTFN
Ralph

Boy have they come down in price. When the company bought these they were close to $800. The picture shown in the link is the unit I have. My batteries ran for a full 8 hour shift at work and then some. When I left I had two of them plus I got all the head gear that the company had thrown out. I think last count I have 5 of the headgear, 7 batteries and a couple chargers. If you can possible swing getting one of these I would highly recommend it. I usually get two years out of a face shield unless I am using it for house painting. It had a flimsey bib that sealed around the neck, but since my beard is long there was no point in using it. I have had the beard for 25 years and am allergic to shaving cream so going hairless is not an option.

KEW

I have been thinking about using a small squirrel cage fan to feed the helmet on, from outside air. However, I am not thrilled with creating a positive pressure in the main dust generating area of my shop.
TIA,
Michael

One of the presenters at the 2006 Southern States Symposium had done this. I have CRS and can't remember his name, but he was the only guy there who consistently wore dust protection during his demos (setting a good example, but it did interfere with communication).
I believe he used a hair drier set on low speed and with the heat element bypassed for his "air pump". I suppose a low heat setting may have some benefit if you are in a seriously cold climate. I believe he was from NC or TN, and he didn't talk about temperature concerns. He cautioned that we should cover the intake with screen to keep from sucking a bee into our hood!
In a drafty shop I don't think the positive pressure would cause problems if you put a good seal on the door to your home.
A better plan might be to simply locate your intake at the exhaust of your air scrubber. The flow volume required by this is very small compared to any normal dust handler, so you don't need to worry about pulling in air which didn't pass through the scrubber.
I plan on doing this when my battery starts to die.
This approach makes a lot of sense for turners because
1) The portability of a battery is not usually needed
2) you can remove the weight of the battery and the motor from your person and just have a hose drop from the ceiling at your lathe
3) The cost of a battery pack will easily pay for a drier/fan and hose, and you don't need to be concerned with filter maintenance.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
While I don't use it a lot, I have the same one Bill does (I think). Yellow hard hat with a battery pack. I converted it to rechargeable D batteries some time back since I didn't want to pay for a new charger.

The benefit to that model is it has been made for many years, all the parts are available and $400 is WAY cheaper than a new lung, which to the best of my knowledge, is not yet transplantable.

For those checking, if it is a wood that I am sensitive too, I wear a dust-b-gone and have several air filters and vacs running when applicable.

Sinus infections for me (with reduced membranes - bike accident) means really weird things

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
The benefit to that model is it has been made for many years, all the parts are available and $400 is WAY cheaper than a new lung, which to the best of my knowledge, is not yet transplantable.

While it is cheaper, I do think lungs can be transplanted.

The difference between pressurized masks and throw away filters is the real consideration. I have used a Racal unit for years and there are many advantages in addition to the quality of air one is breathing. One is wearing a full face mask, not a bad idea when turning. The face plate and glasses, if one wears them, do not fog up. There is ear protection. Plastic covers go over the faceplate. Inexpensive, they are easy to replace as is the fiber material that hangs below the face plate. I really have no complaints with the Racal system. There are other similar systems on the market which work much the same way though I wonder about the weight of the ones that have the vacuum system in the helmet. We turn with our heads tilted forward.

Breathing wood fiber is a bad idea and some of us turn exotic woods, some of which are especially bad though one of the worst woods in this regard is redwood, common in my area. Even worse is the abrasive that comes off a high speed grinder. One should be wearing protection when sharpening or trueing the stones. Some have ended up in the hospital because they failed to invest in protection. I realize these systems are expensive but would urge anyone who works in a shop to invest in one.

Malcolm Smith.

Back