• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Husk 20g 165psi Silent Air Compressor - Regulator no longer maintining pressure to hose (audible air leak via hiss escaping through regulator)

Hello all! Its been a few years since I posted, but I'm in need of help. I bought a Husk 20 gallon 165psi "silent" air compressor. The silver one. It is just past its warranty period, and I cannot seem to find a replacement part (there is a knockoff brand one, but every review says its made out of the cheapest materials possible and even just screwing in a pressure gauge will crack the metal...since this is a 165psi compressor, I don't want to use a cheap part like that!)

I've disassembled my regulator, cleaned it, and reassembled it, however the leak persists. The leak is from the "outflow" side of the regulator/manifold assembly. If I do not allow pressure out to the hoses, the tank will maintain whatever pressure it builds effectively indefinitely (I have an automatic short-burst pressure release valve attached to the bottom, so that it regularly evacuates any moisture that builds up, so over time if I leave that on, the tank pressure will be depleted...without this turned on, tank pressure maintains indefinitely as far as I can tell.) So, the issue has to do with releasing pressure into the outflow part of the manifold, to the hoses, and with the regulator assembly itself.

I've captured a few (somewhat potato quality, sorry, was trying to hold the phone and the part at the same time and was a bit shaky) photos of the assembly.

This is the whole thing, regulator in the middle sans its red knob:
IMG_20240730_163914.jpg

The regulator assembly itself:
IMG_20240730_163924.jpg

Manifold, with the regulator assembly removed. There is a membrane, or bladder, inside the manifold here, the green part. This holds pressure to the tank side. It seems to work fine holding pressure on that side, but, I think this is half of the problem when there is pressure on the hose side (I'll explain more on my suspicions in a moment):
IMG_20240730_164018.jpg

The regulator assembly. This has a metal housing, a threaded screw with a flat part that notches into the red knob (knob not pictured) that pushes a domed metal plate inside. That plate sits at the bottom of a spring (see next picture), which pushes on a plastic assembly with a nozzle and a grooved o-ring (later photos). The nozzle presses into the membrane/bladder to release pressure into the hose side of the manifold. NOTE: There is a hole here, where air escapes when pressure on the hose side is RELEASED (i.e. when you reduce pressure to zero, this is where the air is escaping and where you hear a hiss. THIS is where I am hearing a hiss nearly all the time if I have pressure to the hoses now, which is the main problem):
IMG_20240730_164136.jpg

Continued in next post due to image count restriction!!

The spring inside the assembly (domed plate is at the bottom, which is pushed in or allowed out by the screw that attaches to the knob (which you can see above):
IMG_20240730_164157.jpg

The plastic part, with the grooved o-ring. The nozzle in the middle pushes into the green bladder in the manifold to release pressure. I believe it is the interface between the two, where air is escaping. I did some testing and checking, and I am not hearing any air escape from o-ring areas (there is another o-ring on the housing itself, which you can see in the photo above, and I have noted no escaping air there at all with a soap bubble test):
IMG_20240730_164220-EDIT.jpg

The same part, flipped upside down. The larger diameter circular part in the middle fits perfectly into the center of the spring that sits inside the housing of the regulator as seen above:
IMG_20240730_164242.jpg

I have analyzed this for some time now (the issue I think started some time ago, but became particularly bad only about a week ago, at which time I disassembled the regulator to clean it). I believe the problem is that air is escaping past the bladder/nozzle interface, through the hole in the center of the nozzle (seen above here), after which it travels through the regulator housing and escapes through the hole in the side of that (which you can see in the first photo of the regulator assembly above.) I've tried to clean the bladder and nozzle tip so they are totally dry, to see if that would resolve the problem, and also tried to put a bit of oil on them to see if that would help seal better. Neither approach seems to be working. I cannot find any damage to the parts, and as I mentioned before if I do not allow any pressure into the hose side of the manifold, then pressure is maintained indefinitely in the tank...so, I don't think there is anything wrong with the bladder which is actually part of the manifold (green colored membrane in one of the photos above).

Does anyone have any experience fixing things like this? I cannot find this particular regulator for sale anywhere, outside of an extremely cheap Chinese knockoff on amazon that everyone says to steer clear of. So I suspect I am going to have to fix it myself. I don't even quite understand the mechanism of the problem. I can adjust hose pressure to, say 75psi, which is usually what I use for my woodturning. The manifold supports two hose connections, and I usually have both pressurized, as one is at one lathe and the other at a second lathe, and I'm frequently switching back and forth between the two. When I reach 75psi to the hoses, I can hear airflow stop. However, it will only stop for a short while....maybe 15 seconds, maybe a couple of minutes (I honestly don't know why the time varies here). After some time, I will start to hear a hiss of air escaping the regulator (as if I'd backed off the pressure, and its normal when I DO back off the pressure). That hiss will increase in loudness, until its loud enough to be heard over say me sanding a piece on one of my lathes. I cannot hear it over the sound of my shop vac, but once its at full loudness, I can hear it over most things. Eventually, enough air will escape that the compressor turns on. So technically, I can still use my air to blow off dust and the like, but the system has become extremely inefficient, as the compressor has to cycle a LOT more frequently now.

I am hoping there is a way to fix this, and that there is a simple explanation as to what the problem really is. I am not sure if I can find any replacement parts. I intend to try and call Husky support on monday, although Home Depot seems to have done as much as they can to keep people from doing that. I'm afraid that the cost of a replacement part (which as far as I can tell, is effectively replacing the entire manifold and regulator together all at once...they don't seem to list the individual parts of that assembly) is going to cost enough that I'd be better off buying an entire new compressor. This darn thing was $375 back when I bought it, and it appears its still about $345 right now.... Further, since its only been a bit over two years, and this problem cropped up not long after the warranty period ended, I'm a bit wary of buying another (although, it really is quite a bit quieter than your average 20 gallon compressor, most of which are SIGNIFICANTLY louder, and in my small garage workshop, the sound can be deafening!)

Anyway, thank you for any assistance.

Repairing the manifold looks like a losing battle. Can you remove the manifold and replace it with standard parts and a new tank gauge and regulator? If the manifold is welded direct to the tank you could perhaps cut it back and thread the stub.

This seems to be designed as a disposable unit with an advertised life of 1,000 hours (6 months in a commercial shop) but you should be able to string it out at least that far. 165 psi on a single stage pump is pushing it awfully hard- dial down the tank pressure to 125 or less and the pump will run cooler and last longer.

Last edited:
If you can hear a hiss then can you find the leak. If it is a joint or a hole in the manifold then try a soap water bubble test Spray a dishwasher (Dawn) on the assy and look for a leak.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
My 60 gal Home Depot "Husky" air compressor was manufactured by and warranty by Campbell Hausfeld. They supplied replacement faulty pressure switch under warranty.

Call them at 1-800-543-6400. Provide following: Model number, Serial number (if any), Part description and number as shown on parts list. Listen to and follow the prompts. - John

Repairing the manifold looks like a losing battle. Can you remove the manifold and replace it with standard parts and a new tank gauge and regulator? If the manifold is welded direct to the tank you could perhaps cut it back and thread the stub.

This seems to be designed as a disposable unit with an advertised life of 1,000 hours (6 months in a commercial shop) but you should be able to string it out at least that far. 165 psi on a single stage pump is pushing it awfully hard- dial down the tank pressure to 125 or less and the pump will run cooler and last longer.
The entire manifold can be easily replaced... I just haven't been able to find a replacement, nor even a part number (unless its literally part #4...) The manifold assembly is connected to the tank with a hose, and it bolts to a control panel face plate that itself just bolts to the frame of the upper assembly on the tank. So its not a problem to remove the entire manifold assembly. I can remove the gauges from that, if I can find a replacement manifold.

If you can hear a hiss then can you find the leak. If it is a joint or a hole in the manifold then try a soap water bubble test Spray a dishwasher (Dawn) on the assy and look for a leak.
As I mentioned originally, air seems to be escaping through the interface of the nozzle on the plastic part inside the regulator housing, and the bladder membrane in the manifold. If I remove the regulator assembly from the manifold, no air escapes. It only escapes so long as that nozzle presses up against the bladder. There isn't any hole or anything, none of the o-rings are damaged. As far as I can see, there does not appear to be any damage to either the nozzle or the bladder. But as best I can tell, that is where the issue is, the interface of those two things.

I can't really do a soap bubble test on those two, because the only way to test that is to screw the regulator assembly back into the manifold. But I have tested the other o-rings, and they are not leaking.

My 60 gal Home Depot "Husky" air compressor was manufactured by and warranty by Campbell Hausfeld. They supplied replacement faulty pressure switch under warranty.

Call them at 1-800-543-6400. Provide following: Model number, Serial number (if any), Part description and number as shown on parts list. Listen to and follow the prompts. - John
I'll give it a try. Do they make all the Husky brand compressors? Home Depot seems to have two general varieties...the silver "quiet" stuff, and the black stuff with normal sound levels. They seem to use different kinds of regulators. I can easily find the parts for all the black colored Husky branded compressors. Its the parts for the silver ones that I am having a tough time finding.

California Air Tools may be making those for HD. Look thru their units and see if you find a comparable unit. If it were mine, I’d probably forego the built in manifold and plumb up my own with regulators.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
I'll give it a try. Do they make all the Husky brand compressors? Home Depot seems to have two general varieties...the silver "quiet" stuff, and the black stuff with normal sound levels. They seem to use different kinds of regulators. I can easily find the parts for all the black colored Husky branded compressors. Its the parts for the silver ones that I am having a tough time finding.
"Do they make all the Husky brand compressors?"

I do not know. You would have to ask Campbell Hausfeld. - John

Silent is quite a claim. Silent means lack of ANY sound. There are people who search for that kind of description and take companies to court for cash settlements.

You don't mention contacting Husky for replacement parts, just to rule it out did you try that? When looking at the manual for the current model 3332013 it only says "replace regulator" and like you said they only call it part #4

I have contacted Husky. I actually filled out a support request form on their site. I received some automated replies, but nothing from a human yet. Hopefully this week they will respond.

Well, apparently the site I was on was not the Husky "Tools" company. Their name was "Husky" and they even had the dog head as part of the logo, although it is slightly different. I have still not found a phone number for husky support, but I did find that you can send them a text message... Not real sure I want to have a support "call" over SMS text, but that may be the only option here.

In case anyone runs into this some time in the future. I was never able to get Husky to contact me back over SMS. That said, the issue I was having, for some reason, seems to have resolved itself. I guess it was a bit over a week ago, and I realized that throughout my work I never heard the air leak. Checked it again today, and as far as I can tell the manifold is indeed holding pressure now, even up to 100psi (which is usually the highest I will go). The regulator was dirty when I first took it apart, and I had to clean off dust and some small flakes of wood. I wonder if somehow throughout my cleaning, I just ended up getting crease somewhere it didn't belong, and over time here its self cleared that or something. In any case, for the time being at least, the issue seems to be resolved. Hopefully it will stay that way. I guess if not, the easier solution might just be to buy a new compressor... 🤷‍♂️

Back