• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to remove the hand wheel on a Conover lathe?

I have a Conover lathe and would like to get to the bearings to regrease/replace them. I'm stymied by one thing: I can't get the hand wheel off to remove the spindle. I'm talking about the wooden hand wheel to the left side of the headstock in the attached picture.

I think that it screws onto the spindle, and is just stuck, but I'd like to know for sure before I start breaking out the big can of whoop-butt.

Does anyone know for sure how this hand wheel goes on the lathe?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Conover lathe hand wheel.jpg
    Conover lathe hand wheel.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 36
Ask Ernie

Why not ask Ernie Conover himself. He is a great guy and still is very active teaching. I'm sure he would answer your question.

Phone: (440) 548-3491
info@conoverworkshops.com

Jerry

Last edited:
I did, and he did answer me. What a great guy!

As it turned out, the hand wheel is screwed on with a left hand (reverse) thread. I had been trying to get it off by turning the hand wheel clockwise, so I was on the right track. It seems that all I needed to do was to let the Liquid Wrench soak for a longer period of time, and it eventually came off.

Back