• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to burn wood?

I have used a wire to put a burn line in spindle work. Now I wish to put a line in a box top. Does any one have a suggestion as to how to burn such a line?
I have tried another piece of wood but did not like the appearence.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You did not mention the orientation of the lines.

I burn fine lines two ways. Both are adaptations from the bird carvers.

Fine straight lines can be done with a feather carving stone in a high speed rotary tool. The stones need to be sharpened occasionally. These will draw fine lines that are burned. It is quite easy to draw straight lines with these.

they can be drawn with a high quality wood burner. using sharp tips.

-happy turning,
Al

I have a chip carving knife that I turn around so the "dull" side presses into the wood. This allows a hard, small surface to press against the wood and create a burn line in almost any orientation.

Because of the small surface area, compared to a wire that's wrapped 1/3 around spindle, it may take a little longer to create the burn. So goes life. It still works well.

burnt lines

I use stranded wire fishing leaders. Make a "V" bottom mark with you skew,
stretch the leader into the mark and hold it there until the spinning wood
smokes....and there you are, a burnt line.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use formica or hardboard that has been sharpened to burn wood on flat surfaces that are spinning. I use my pyrography pens for other surfaces.

potter142 said:
I reckon I should have read my submission before posting it. Way too
many typos. Sorry if it's hard to read.

Potter,

In this forum, you can go back and correct your own posts. Just click on the post and you'll see the options bar to edit, then save the changes.

Hey, everybody has keeborb problems ;)

R

Ron Sardo

On the top or bottom of a box, I use a thin (1/32") parting tool to make a groove, then I use a piece of formica (also 1/32") to burn in the groove.

Using Wire

If you are going to use wire, make some handles for the wire ends, or mount the wire in something like an old hacksaw frame. Please do not hold it in your hands or wrap any portion of it around any portion of your anatomy. Do not touch the wire after burning. It's hot, right? Haven't tried it yet. Just "wisdom" imparted from the experience of others.

Back