• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How I got three bowls from a ten inch blank with my Oneway corer

I scored a couple of mulberry half logs and being very impressed with the color and grain the sample I was shown at the chapter meeting had I wanted to get the most from them.
I bandsawed one round, ended up about ten inches round and about as tall. Put on the faceplate and shaped the outside with a tenon. Mounted it on the chuck and studied it. I decided I was going to stack cut the first one off. I set the Oneway in place and got out the 17” cutter. Adjusted it off center to the back and cutter touching an inch down the side. I applied the cutter and marked the wood then I got my diamond parting tool and put a groove about 3/4” wide and deep to start the cutter in to avoid torqueing the cutter sideways.
IMG_3799.jpeg
After running the cut through I finished roughing the mounted bowl to thickness and put it away in a bag.
Next step remount the cored center with the faceplate and cut a tenon so I can put it on the chuck. Bringing the Oneway back in place I chose the 11 1/2” arm and set it up off center and aimed for the midlevel.
IMG_3802.jpeg
One more cut to free the smaller blank which came out around 9” then clean up the rough out and bag. Rinse and repeat. Smaller bowl remounted, tenon made and onto a chuck. Remove the faceplate and finish cleanup and bagging the blank.
More than one way to skin a bowl blank. Not the fastest way but makes it easy to remount on center for tenons. Comments welcome.

As you discovered,mulberry is a fruit tree that likes to cracks even before it’s cut down. Wondering if it’d be better to cut a recess to remount the piece using a chuck in expansion mode to remount the center core? Last thing someone needs is to have the core accidentally break lose because there’s a chunk of metal is still attached.

Btw, pics really help others follow along with the descriptions. Thanks for sharing.

I always use a drilled recess, 2 5/8 inch which matches my Vicmark chuck, and turn a recess before reversing and removing the core. I did do one once where I cored a number of blanks out of a long cylinder, some what similar to the above process. I think I got 2 extra bowls out of that set up, which to me was not worth the extra time unless I wanted maximum bowls from one piece of wood for the people who wanted most bowls to distribute from a "family" tree. On this particular blank, I would have turned the crack out first, then have taken a core from it. Most of the time I will not take 'one last core' because I used to have lots of small bowls suitable for pocket stuff that I never finish turned...

robo hippy

This is a great addition to my understanding of ways to use my Oneway coring system. I have done lots of moving the pivot around and using different knives to get different widths and depths, but I hadn't thought of going in the side. It is a pity that Oneway's instructional material for the Easy-Core is so hopeless: everything useful that I have learned about the Easy-Core has been through third party materials, and these are not uniformly good.

This is a great addition to my understanding of ways to use my Oneway coring system. I have done lots of moving the pivot around and using different knives to get different widths and depths, but I hadn't thought of going in the side. It is a pity that Oneway's instructional material for the Easy-Core is so hopeless: everything useful that I have learned about the Easy-Core has been through third party materials, and these are not uniformly good.
I'm sure that's purposeful on oneways part. They designed it to be used one way and take no responsibility for what other methods you use.

Back