• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do you sign your bowls, and other projects?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Gentlemen, if you don't mind, I'd like to see some examples of your signatures....and how it's done.

I originally used some metal stamping letters....heated them up with a acetylene rosebud tip and used them like a branding iron.

For awhile after that, I had a specially made branding iron for my signature KO, or as some people call it, K-diamond.

Around 1990, when I purchased my Woodfast lathe from CS, I also got one of their "woodwriters"......been using that ever since. I must admit that it is a little hard to handle on grainy woods, but the burned in look just looks real nice to me.

Howza otis?

Attachments

• My signature mark (2).jpg
    My signature mark (2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 481
  • Woodwriter (2).jpg
    Woodwriter (2).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mostly I use the Dremel engraver, (not the rotary tool). I have experimented with burning and writing. I don't like the burning because it doesn't show up on the darker woods unless you burn deep and fill with colored wax. The archival pens have the same problem but can also be damaged by some finishes and wax. Experiment with your finishes if you use a pen.
The dremel engraver requires a light touch to master but for me is easier than burning.
Below are samples. 2 are the Dremel engraver and 2 are woodburning.

Attachments

• signing-turnings.jpg
    signing-turnings.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 470
I'm with John. A Dremel engraver works on just about everything including dark woods, open grained woods and very hard woods. It is really easy to use and almost as fast as writing.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I use a soldering iron and lazer printed images. I reverse print my signatue and reg number on my lazer printer. with a hot soldernig iron with a nickle size head on it i press the the image on the bottom of all my pieces. I do not have pictures at at this time but could provide them if you would like. i do this before i put the finish on the bottom to prevent it from being scratched off. I wanted a custom made signature iron but they are costly and are usally pretty large. I have had lots of luck with this method and it is very inexpensive.

I do the same, except I photocopy the artwork from a printed sheet since I don't have a laser printer. I use a Lenk branding iron (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.).

You can sand the mark away, but it will not rub or polish off. You can use any finish over it.

I prefer this method because I like the idea of a standard and consistent signature mark similar to the potters imprint or chop.

Attachments

• Bowl-Mac-no-foot-2-web.jpg
    Bowl-Mac-no-foot-2-web.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 337
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Bob Hadley said:
I do the same, except I photocopy the artwork from a printed sheet since I don't have a laser printer. I use a Lenk branding iron (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.).

You can sand the mark away, but it will not rub or polish off. You can use any finish over it.

I prefer this method because I like the idea of a standard and consistent signature mark similar to the potters imprint or chop.
Bob,

I am curious. That looks like a copywrite symbol by the date on your signature? What does the copywrite apply to? .... The signature, the bowl design, a particular process? I am also curious, do you always place your signature on what looks like the side of the turning rather than the bottom? Or is my brain not interpreting the view in your photo correctly.

Thanks!

Dave

Stamped logos/signatures look good, but I still prefer to use my personal signature on my pieces. Somehow, stamped or machine produced signatures take on an almost commercial production look. I use a very fine point indelible marker and sign the raw wood before putting on a finish. The indelible marker is faster and the signature is permanent to the extent that, like engraved lettering, it would have to be sanded out or turned out with a lathe tool to remove it. If someone wants to go to that much trouble to counterfeit a piece of my work he's welcome to it. Besides, my work isn't really good enough that anyone would be likely to consider doing that. :)

David Somers said:
Bob,

I am curious. That looks like a copywrite symbol by the date on your signature? What does the copywrite apply to? .... The signature, the bowl design, a particular process? I am also curious, do you always place your signature on what looks like the side of the turning rather than the bottom? Or is my brain not interpreting the view in your photo correctly.

Thanks!

Dave

I claim copyright as a matter of course for all my pieces, just in case. What the copyright may or may not cover depends on a particular case. For example someone could counterfeit my signature (not likely, but just for argument) or reproduce an image of my work without my permission (again not likely, but just for argument). I usually sign on the bottom, but that particular bowl didn't have a foot.
If you want to read up on copyrights, visit http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Back