• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do I make the most of this tree trunk section

This is related to another post I just made about this same trunk. I had the top cut off at the red line and am now trying to figure out the best way to turn this into blanks. That hollow spot is fairly deep. Should I cut it in half to see what it looks like inside? I think this could be really interesting wood ND I don’t want to ruin/waste it.
Any and all ideas are welcome!
Thanks

IMG_5294.jpegIMG_0042.jpegIMG_0041.jpegIMG_0040.jpeg

I’m pretty leery of getting something decent out of that. If you’ve got hollowing tools, and can find a portion that is solid enough to mount securely, you could try for an interesting hollow form, but I see lots of decay around some of the branch bases that might not hold together.

Back