• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

how can I turn this?

basically - it's a snowman (err, woman) head on 2 axis. head will be holly, hat will probably be maple or pecan

can't quite wrap my head around how to do this.

suggestions appreciatedhead.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Shawn......
You might consider making the head and the hat separately, and then joining the two? If you are going to do them in two different woods, then that seems like the best way to do it.......but, it sort of looks like you plan to do them already joined on a two axis turning.

ko

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree with Odie. 2 seperate pieces. You could simply turn the snowman and then cut off a flat on his/her head. Then turn the had and glue them together.

another option is to completely turn the snowman. Then turn the hat but hollow it out. Now you can place the hat on at any angle and glue it down. I do that with halo's on my angel ornaments.

If you want it one piece It would be a fairly simply 2 axis turning up to a point but there would have to be some mild carving. Draw lines perpendicular to the 2 planes, the snowman and then the hat. Turn the snowman leaving it solid from the lower edge of the hat. Then mount on a the hat axis and turn the hat. There will probably be a little bit that can't be turned when turning the hat without running into the roundness of the head and that would need to be carved away. I might be wrong and it might be you could turn away all of it but I don't think so.

Back