• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing Tools

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
eweingarden said:
Looking to purchase a hollowing system, and would like some feedback on the Monroe and Hamlet tools. Thanks.

Ed
I have the Rolly Munro hollowing tools, large and small head. I use the small one set to rough cut and the larger for finishing cuts (if the opening is large enough). I added an extra articulation link on the small one so that I can get farther over and farther under the edge.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. I haven't used any of the others, but cannot imagine that they could be any better... As good (but only MAYBE).
They are pricey, but worth it in my mind. If you were going to get only one, and plane to do small hole hollowing, I would get the smaller one, it will go through a much smaller opening (3/4 of an inch if you're careful. :D)

Back