• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hold fast vacuum

Went to use a cheap vacuum pump on my new lathe only to find out it has already decided to die. Was so excited to try vacuum. So looks like I’m in the market for a new pump. Has anyone experience with the hold fast or should I get something else? Never used vacuum. Btw I have a robust lathe with their vacuum adapter. Thanks

I have a couple of 1/4 hp Gast rotary vane vacuum pumps, <$175 off Ebay, quiet and long-lasting. The venturi units are power hogs, like most pneumatic tools.

Thanks guys. I guess what my mind set was is that I already have a quality air compressor and the hold fast seems to be cheaper. I don’t mind paying for quality. Thanks

I am using a $120.00 oils vacuum pump off Amazon. Douglass from Odd-Knot was using one at Totally Turning to demo his chucks. I reliably get 28 inches, and his chucks work like a charm.

Back