• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

History of American Woodturning

Junior year of High School, and as a final project I have to write a 15 page paper on anything about United States History. Naturally, I decide woodturning. I thought about how woodturning expands beyond country borders, invention of the lathe wasn't in America, and tons of good turners are from Canada and Europe. But the United States has a fairly strong background in this field, so I think I could pull it off.

Now the fun part. I need at least 20 sources. Woodturning History is not really the most accessible topic to research, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

I have some starting points: Woodturning in North America since 1930, catalogs from Challenge IV and Challenge V, a couple back issues of Turning Points, a few essentially useless introductions in instruction books, and a general knowledge of the evolution of turning.

I was wondering if any of you venerable guys have any secret woodturning histories floating around. I don't care if it's a 300 page mega-paper or a dinky paragraph saying that 'Prestini was good.' I will take whatever I can get in terms of websites, book titles, scholarly journals, personal experiences, interviews, etc.

This is an over-ambitious research project, seeing as I don't live next door to The Woodturning Center, but I'm trying to write a paper on something I'm interested in, so all help would be appriciated.

Thanks.
Nat

There have been several articles in American Woodturner (AAW magazine). I recall several by Alan Lacer that might be helpful. An index for American Woodturner is available here
The older issues (vol 1 - 16) are available on CD's from the AAW. Or you might be able to borrow them and back issues from another woodturner - a local AAW chapter would be a good source of leads for that.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on learning woodturning history...

Remember that woodturning's journey from a method of creating practical everyday items to an art form has been taking place over hundreds, if not thousands, of years. There may be more available information on the tools and techniques rather than the art/craft. As one example example if you search for information on pole lathes and treadle lathes you will undoubtedly find the related information on what was turned with them.

There was also a period of time starting with the beginning of the industrial revolution when skilled woodturners were in great demand to produce wood versions of machine parts and architectural components that would eventually be cast in iron. The search for this information would probably start by researching how early machine parts were made, the casting of iron, or some other similar tact.

Another good source of information may be the curators at some of the many local historic sites and museums that have a connection to lathes and turning....

Arlington, Ma. has the Old Schwamb Mill, it is still in working condition http://www.oldschwambmill.org

Millbury, Ma. claims to be the home of the first eccentric lathe, powered by water.
http://www.preserveamerica.gov/6-25-04PAcommunity-millburyMA.html

Hancock Shaker Village http://www.hancockshakervillage.org/ has a tour that includes a water powered lathe and bandsaw

I have read on the web that the Gardner Museum and the MFA have in the collections examples of early american turned furniture.

Also, here is an article that I came across on the web on the history of woodturning. It has a bibliography that may be of use.
http://www.3wave.com/chhome/cha/turnhist.html

Last edited:
History

Try to find a copy of "Hand and Simple Turning" by Holtzhapfel. Spelling may not be correct. Libraries some times have it. Gives lots of history.

Great project, good luck, Don

Back