• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Here's probably a stupid question about finish/oxidation etc..

Both of these are Osage orange. The one on the right is several months old, sits in the sun in the cab of a truck a lot and has non uv polyurethane on it. I made it for my buddy and just saw it again the other day when I took the pic. I do like the patina it's gotten from age.

The one on the left is "fresh" and is finished with spar urethane which has uv inhibitors but it still might oxidize, I don't know it's only about a week old.

The stupid question is what would happen if I were to put something like Transtint dye in a yellow color on one before putting the poly on?

Would it stay yellow as it ages or would it act like it wasn't even there? The others I've made since the first one haven't changed colors like the first but they have the UV resistant poly on them and they aren't out in the sun.

I have already dyed a couple "bordeaux" but like the others they aren't in the sun either.

Attachments

• PXL_20240711_123710952.jpg
    PXL_20240711_123710952.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
UV isn’t a necessity ingredient for the wood turning brown. Osage Orange will go from fluorescent yellow to chocolate brown fairly quickly as it dries and is exposed to air. The spar urethane might slow the process down slightly, but nothing will stop it. The yellow Transtint dye won’t help, but maybe fluorescent yellow marking paint is the answer. :rolleyes:

maybe fluorescent yellow marking paint is the answer. :rolleyes:
Never know might have to give that a try...........
Digital Art Nft GIF by patternbase

Anyone know if Osage Orange and Mulberry are related? It would seem so with the similar grain, initial yellow color, and tendency to darken as it ages. FWIW, my limited experience with either wood gives me the impression that visually they're similar, but Mulberry isn't nearly as tough as Osage Orange.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I find that mulberry stays yellow far longer than Osage. I tried a lot of UV inhibitors in my test of woids that change. None if them worked.
Binh Pho used metallic dyes to color the red in box elder to maintain its color.

I find that mulberry stays yellow far longer than Osage. I tried a lot of UV inhibitors in my test of woids that change. None if them worked.
Binh Pho used metallic dyes to color the red in box elder to maintain its color.
So there might be some hope for a yellow dye then? I guess I'm going to have to get some and just see for myself. In your wood tests did you use any color dyes other than just UV inhibitor?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
So there might be some hope for a yellow dye then?
Experiment. What @Bill Boehme said about mixing colors is true.
Transparent paints are less affected by the background colors.
Opaque paints cover background colors.

Here is what I got with airbrush paints on chinaberry which turns brown. The sapwood had gone dark from sitting around.
The leaves and hummer are opaque
The flower and background are transparent colors.
What to note is the background which are transparent yellow and orange. The black shows through.

With an airbrush you can control the paint applied with distance and time.
Wish I was better at it but airbrushing is so easy everyone gets some level of success.

If you have occasion to see Joe Fleming or Nick Agar they are terrific. Also lots of others.
Joe sells grex airbrushes at many symposiums.
He lets you paint while he explains. I had an airbrush but after using the pistle grip for a couple minutes he had a sale.

Problem with paints on a cane is they can wear off with use and or abuse.
IMG_1190.jpeg

Last edited:
Back