• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help ID Tool

Can someone help me ID this tool? :confused: I understand that it comes in a set but have not been able to find it online. Thanks.

Attachments

• hollow tool.JPG
    hollow tool.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 333
Can someone help me ID this tool? :confused: I understand that it comes in a set but have not been able to find it online. Thanks.

It looks like a hook tool. But I don't recall ever seeing this particular configuration before.

It is flat like a scraper and in the shape it is sold, as a hollowing tool, about 3/4" by 3/8". It is one of Richard Raffan's favorite tools.

Unknown Tool

Jonathan,

As I remember from when Richard was here the tool came from McNaughton. It had an inlaid insert of another steel it the tip, as your picture shows, and he only sharpened it with a diamond stone to raise a burr. it was my understanding that they were fairly new, or some kind of a prototype.I'll try and find out more.

Thanks Nick, any help is appreciated. I remember Richard saying it came in a set and most people only used this one blade.
BTW, sure enjoyed the hospitality, had a great time.:)

Well, that is a McNaughton handle, and I do remember seeing something like that in a catalogue somewhere. Also Kel, likes the harder piece of cutting steel laminated on top of the bar for cutting.
robo hippy

It looks like a mangled Kelton undercutter; it comes in a set of three in the Lee Valley catalog.

Kel McNaughton scraper. Does come in a set of 3 for use in their handle. I have a set and they are very nice.

Back