• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hello

I am new to the site, and fairly new to turning. I was just looking for a website to help me learn about turning and stumbled here. Hope to learn alot! There is some really nice work in the gallery.

KEW

Hey and welcome!
I'd recommend you add a location to your profile. I appreciate that you may have some concerns about privacy, but if you stay general (like Ed with "South Florida") it would be pretty hard for anyone to figure out who you are (of course Ed used his name, so that is not his concern). Often by knowing your location, a local turner might offer some help or introduce you to some opportunities specific to your location.
In any case, we got a bunch of people who are happy to help with any turning issues you may have. Enjoy.

Hello and welcome

Do you have a local chapter of the AAW near you? Getting involved with an active club is a great way to learn a lot very quickly.

Ed

Hello Oledirty, nice to have you on board.

Ed is 100% correct.;) I've been there and done it myself. I found the AAW and they led me to my local woodturning club - The Capitol Area Woodturners, we cover the Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia area.
When I hooked up with the CAW a whole new world opened up to me. It appears woodturners in general are eager to help each other learn the art of woodtuning, at any level. And this is a great place to learn also. Members here are just as eager to help new turners, all you have to do is ask. So jump in and enjoy:D

Cheers

thanks for the helpful replies everyone! I am in Oklahoma, and a LONG way from my local club. I have been to a local meeting or two but the distance i would have to travel is too great, so i must rely on the net. I have been turning for a little over a year now and plan to post a few pics soon. I will be here more often in the future with tons of questions i am sure.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome aboard. Iused to travel 100 miles to my local club but then we started one about 35 miles away and 2 years ago we started one in my town. I was like you many years ago and didn't know there were any turners. I got lucky and found the AAW and joined. Best thing I ever did. This was way before home computers but it helped me meet people and learn about the far away club.
you will learn a lot here. All you have to do is ask.

Back